Officials say they will ‘hold participants accountable’ after Monday in encampment response

Oregon State University officials will “hold participants accountable” if the ongoing encampment remains after Monday, OSU officials said in an online response on Thursday.

The encampment, assembled by the Students United for Palestinian Equal Rights, has been located in the Memorial Union Quad since Wednesday morning.

The document was addressed to OSU Palestine Solidarity Coalition members. It came following calls for the university to divest from organizations with ties to Israel.

In their response, the statement said that if the encampment remains after Monday or if “conditions change in ways that are detrimental to the university community,” the university will “(use) methods available to us to hold participants accountable for violations of policy under the student conduct code and criminal statutes.”

University officials allege the encampment “presents significant challenges” to maintaining public safety, and has led to the cancellation of planned events, including events with “paid reservations and non-refundable contracts.”

“While you may view this as a necessary inconvenience to advance your cause, this is not the view of the university, which has an obligation to support the programming of all OSU students within university policy,” the document states.

The response also lays out the university’s planned actions in response to “the events in Gaza,” including financial plans.

The financial plans discussed include the creation of a Task Force for Responsible Investing and a Task Force for Responsible Procurement. 

The document does not say if the university has any plans related to divestment.

Additional plans include the creation of courses and curricula, developing and publishing a “library guide” and support for a university fundraising effort for the Red Cross.

“We fully support the free expression rights of those at the encampment and have consistently provided advice and counsel on how to exercise these rights effectively and safely within the broad allowances of university policy,” the document states. “We will continue to support these rights. However … the overnight encampment must end.”

View Comments (1)