Seven Beavers taken in 2019 MLB Draft

OSU Baseball junior catcher Adley Rutschman takes the plate in the NCAA Regionals at Goss Stadium. 

Matthew Brooks, Sports Contributor

The 2019 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft took place this week, with the first round starting Monday, June 3rd at 4 p.m.

The draft saw seven Beavers get selected across 31 out of its 40 rounds, starting with junior catcher Adley Rutschman going first overall to the Baltimore Orioles.The seven selections mark the most since 2014, when there were eight Beavers selected.

All players selected from OSU have either completed their junior or senior season. In order to be draft eligible, players must still be in high school or have three years of college baseball experience. Being selected does not mean that players are required to sign and play professionally and they may choose to not sign and continue their amateur careers.  

Round 1, Pick 1: Adley Rutchsman, catcher – Baltimore Orioles

Originally a 40th round selection straight out of high school in 2016, junior catcher Adley Rutschman was widely considered the best prospect coming into this year’s draft.

He is the third member of Oregon State Athletics to get drafted first. Rutschman joins Terry Baker, an OSU Football quarterback who was drafted in 1962, and Danny Mwanga, an OSU Soccer forward who was drafted in 2010, as being the only Beavers to get selected at the top of their respective drafts.

Should he sign with the Baltimore Orioles, Rutschman will finish his OSU career hitting .352 across 644 at-bats, including 28 home runs and 174 RBIs.This season, he set an Oregon State record by recording 76 walks, 21 more than the previous record holder. According to ESPN, this selection was valued at about $8.4 million.

Round 2, Pick 60: Beau Philip, shortstop – Atlanta Braves

After playing two years at a junior college in Stockton, Calif. and one year in Corvallis for the Beavers, junior shortstop Beau Philip was selected by the Atlanta Braves with the last pick of the second round.

The Sacramento native only played one season in Corvallis, but Phillip .311 batting average was good for second best on the team. He finished the year with five home runs and 31 RBIs across 177 at-bats. In his 44 starts this season, he maintained a fielding percentage of 95.9% and only committed six errors. According to ESPN, this selection was valued at just over $1.1 million.

Round 3, Pick 80: Grant Gambrell, pitcher – Kansas City Royals

Just days after finishing his third season with the Beavers, junior right-handed pitcher Grant Gambrell was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the middle of the third round.

This year proved to be his best season dawning the orange and black, as Gambrell held a 2.83 earned run average across 13 starts (70 innings). The right-hander from Clovis, Calif., has struck out 147 batters in 142.2 innings pitched during the last three seasons. This selection was valued at $767,800.

Round 18, Pick 537: Brandon Eisert, pitcher – Toronto Blue Jays

Selected in the middle of the 18th round by the Toronto Blue Jays, junior left-handed pitcher Brandon Eisert had 14 appearances this season with seven starts.

The native of Beaverton, Ore. struck out 74 opposing batters and allowed 14 earned runs across 62 innings of work. In the past three seasons, Eisert has pitched to a 2.28 earned run average through 165.2 innings on the mound.

Round 21, Pick 626: Bryce Fehmel, pitcher – San Francisco Giants

In four seasons playing for OSU, senior right-handed pitcher Bryce Fehmel has made 77 appearances, working his way into being a 21st round selection by the San Francisco Giants.

Fehmel pitched opposing hitters to a .236 average, and struck out 71 hitters through 16 appearances (99.1 innings). He finished his Beaver career with a 3.27 ERA in 363.2 innings of work, and a 33-8 overall record.

Round 27, Pick 803: Tyler Malone, infielder/outfielder – San Diego Padres

With a year of college eligibility still remaining, junior infielder/outfielder Tyler Malone was selected in the 27th round of the draft by the San Diego Padres.

The Roseville, Calif. native made 49 appearances with 43 starts and driving in 19 runs this season. A year after playing a key role in the Beavers’ College World Series run, Malone had 32 hits and walked 40 times. Defensively, he had a 98.2% fielding percentage and has only committed two errors in three seasons at OSU.

Round 31, Pick 935: Dylan Pearce, pitcher – St. Louis Cardinals

Two years removed from his time at Southwest Oregon Community College, senior right-handed pitcher Dylan Pearce was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals. In two seasons at OSU, he made 47 appearances with four starts and struck out 78 opposing batters

After logging 28.1 innings last season, Pearce played in 56.2 innings on the mound this year, striking out 51 batters and holding opposing hitters to a .222 average. He finishes his Beaver career with a 3.39 ERA, and a record of 5-2.