Q & A with Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life

Vada Shelby, News Contributor

Q & A: Nathan Erickson, Sigma Phi EpsilonĀ 

One of the main conflicts students have when considering Greek Life is changes in pricing and lifestyle. A common misconception, according to first year Sigma Phi Epsilon Nathan Erickson, is that all houses are the same and ask the same out of their members. Although there is a process for joining a house different from dorm living, Erickson thinks itā€™s worth it for many reasons.Ā 

Erickson explained that he lived in West Hall before moving into the house. He was chosen to be one of the few first year students allowed to live in the house, and says it has worked out for the best in his case. When living in West Hall, Erickson said he didnā€™t feel comfortable asking anyone for homework help or approaching anybody.

What is your sleeping/living situation like in the house you live in?Ā 

We have sleeping porches that are basically the size of dorm rooms, but with lower ceilings. Thereā€™s different sleeping porches for different people, like some for light sleepers or people who snore.Ā 

What are some unique things about Sigma Phi Epsilon?Ā 

There are multiple rooms designated to studying. The house is tailored to guys who are dedicated to academics. Itā€™s also a dry house, so thereā€™s no smoking or drinking at all. The house also has a private chef that cooks lunch and dinner for us. Lunch is at 11:30 and dinner is at 5:30.Ā 

What is your day-to-day like in the house?Ā 

We have a ā€œbump sheetā€, which is a type of chore list that determines duties around the house as well as things like first dibs. At meals, you could be ā€œbumped outā€ to the back of the line by someone higher up, but the upperclassmen donā€™t do that to lower students, and sometimes even go to the back of the line on their own because thereā€™s always enough food. Since Iā€™m low on the bump sheet, I usually do dishes.

Whatā€™s something you think people should know about living in houses next year?Ā 

Thereā€™s an accommodation plan coming for seniors next year where living would only be 450/term or 900/term with a meal plan. Also, every Monday night there is chapter. Itā€™s a big meeting where everyone in the house comes to regroup and discuss things like rules, morals, budgets, and activities. Itā€™s a formal activity where etiquette is important.

Q & A: Nathan Marx, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Had you ever lived in dorms before joining Greek Life?Ā 

If so, what are the pros and cons you saw to each? Yes, I lived in Weatherford. The best thing about Weatherford is that it was close to everything, but you werenā€™t able to hangout with a lot of people. In the house, you are able to hangout with a lot of people, but you arenā€™t close to a lot of things.Ā 

Whatā€™s your favorite part about being involved in Greek Life?Ā 

Meeting new people.Ā 

Whatā€™s something youā€™d like students not involved in Greek Life to know about it?Ā 

The stereotypes about fraternities are not always true.Ā 

What does your day-to-day look like in the fraternity?Ā 

Wake up, eat, go to class, hang out with my friends in the house.Ā 

What are you plans for living next year?Ā 

I plan on living in next year.