ASOSU Election 2019: voting window now open

Drone photograph of the Memorial Union Quad.

Monday is the first day students may cast their vote in the Associated Students of Oregon State University election.

Students may cast their digital ballots on the ASOSU website, via a personalized link sent to their ONID emails. The voting window for students began this morning, and will close Friday, Feb. 22 at 10 p.m.

Students will be voting for several positions, including president and vice president, Speaker of the House, members of the House of Representatives and the Senate, in addition to the Student Fee Committee Chair and Student Fee Committee At-Large members.

Information on candidates can be found on the ASOSU website, specifically the ASOSU Voting Guide. Additional information can be found through candidates’ personal websites or social media, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

“It is super important for OSU students to vote during elections because this is the chance students have to say who they want to represent them,” Sumegha Aryal, ASOSU Chief of Staff, said via email. “All of these positions sit through important conversations that impact all types of students at Oregon State University.”

ASOSU reported a 21 percent voter turnout rate during last school year, and hopes to reach 20 percent turnout in this year’s election. Aryal said ASOSU’s efforts to increase voting turnout include tabling both before voting starts and during voting week in order to inform students of the election.

In addition to encouraging students to vote in this election, Aryal also encourages students to get involved in ASOSU.

“I would like to say that it is never too late to get involved with your student government,” Aryal said via email. “We want all students to participate in elections and if you have any questions, feel free to stop by the ASOSU Student Government Office located on the second floor of the SEC.”

The ASOSU Voter Guide is available here.