OSU Women’s Basketball takes down Washington Huskies despite team injuries

Jarred Bierbrauer, OMN Sports Chief

Oregon State Women’s Basketball earned their second conference win this Sunday when they took down the Washington Huskies in Gill Coliseum with a final score of 78-67.

The No. 11 Beavers stand with Oregon and Stanford as the remaining undefeated teams in the Pac-12, while also hoisting an overall record of 12-2.

According to OSU Head Coach Scott Rueck, junior guard Kat Tudor, who did not participate in the game against Washington, will be out for the season due to a leg injury she had suffered in their previous game. With Tudor out, the Beavers now only have nine active players out of 12 on the roster.

“Notre Dame won the national title with seven players last year, I’ve had years with nine, I’ve had years with 10 and 11, it doesn’t do me any good to be concerned, it just does good to figure out this puzzle now,” Rueck said.

Rueck added that he had subbed himself in at practice the day before the game to help make sure things went smoothly.

In the game, redshirt sophomore guard Destiny Slocum exploded for a career-high 30 points, also putting up seven total rebounds and six assists in the process. Slocum went 5-9 from the three point line, helping eclipse her previous personal scoring record of 25 points.

“I just prepared all weekend to get to the rim, score, get to the next, I think that’s what my mindset what right off the bat,” Slocum said. “To create open shots and to get our offense flowing.”

In just her second in-conference game in the Pac-12, Slocum added that every game matters and that the conference in the best in the country.

Oregon State jumped off to an early lead, putting up 19 points in the first quarter with 12 coming from Slocum. OSU held a comfortable lead until the late in the third quarter, when Washington brought the score to within four points at 44-40.

On the other side of the court, UW guard Amber Melgoza put up 20 points and seven total rebounds, shooting 37.5 percent from the floor. Melgoza was the only Husky to play for over 30 minutes.

According to Rueck, the team had a hard time dictating where Washington was going on the court.

“They’re going to be aggressive. They’re going to do what they do, which is attack and shoot and try to push a transition, and that’s what they did, we allowed that,” Rueck said.

After allowing just 11 points in the first quarter, the OSU defense continued to slope downward on Washington’s side of the court, allowing 15, 19 then 22 points in the remaining quarters. Rueck added that they are still in the process of finding a player who will step up as the defensive leader on the team.

“We’re still searching for an identity, which is who we are all the time,” Rueck said. “At times, we’ve proven that we can be excellent, and other times we’ve proven to be not good on that end where we let them get comfortable.”

Sophomore forward Taya Corosdale also did her part to against the Huskies, grabbing 14 total rebounds and sinking a trio of three pointers to help OSU gain the win. Junior guard Mikayla Pivec also chimed in with 17 points and five rebounds.

“I think our team is really tough and we have this chip on our shoulder, that’s our mentality,” Corosdale said. “We’re a target. People want to beat us, so we have to hit people and we’re going to get hit too, so we just have this fight back mentality.”

Oregon State’s next game will be on Friday, Jan. 11 at UCLA. Game time is set to start at 7 p.m.