OSU student in rape case dismisses lawsuit against university

General News Graphic

Delaney Shea, News Editor

An Oregon State student claiming the university discriminated and retaliated against her after reporting being raped by a former OSU football player has filed to dismiss the case after both parties reached a mutual compromise.

The suit, filed by an OSU student referred to as Jane Doe, alleged that in the process of reporting a rape by OSU student and former football player Jordan Pace, the university violated her Title IX rights through sex discrimination and her rights as a victim.

Laura Dunn, attorney for the victim who is referred to as Jane Doe, said that a compromise agreeable to both parties had been reached, and declined to comment further.

Steve Clark, vice president of University Relations and Marketing, also declined to comment on the compromise.

Due to FERPA laws, Clark was unable to comment on whether the university will be changing any policies as a result of the suit, but stated that the university attempts to keep its policies updated to keep its members safe.

“I can assure that the university mindfully evaluates its procedures and policies constantly in a goal to provide for a safe, inclusive and supportive environment for its students, faculty and staff,” Clark said via email.”

Pace was charged with  first degree rape, first degree unlawful sexual penetration, first degree sodomy and second degree sexual abuse. Pace’s trial is set for October 15, 2018.