Native American Longhouse Indigenous cultures

the Baro Staff

The Native American Longhouse Eena Haws has been on the Oregon State campus since 1971, making it the longest standing cultural resource center on campus. 

“The Native American Longhouse Eena Haws represents the Indigenous people of the Americas and Pacific Islands,” Luhui Whitebear, Assistant Director of the NAL Eena Haws, said. “We honor and respect that these regions cover thousands of Indigenous cultures.”

A common misconception is that the NAL is only for Indigenous people. 

“In addition to offering a space for Indigenous students from these regions to feel welcome and a sense of community, we also host events that help educate the broader campus community on Indigenous culture, identity, and issues that impact these communities,” Whitebear said.

The Native Connect event will kick off the year on Sept. 27, in order to unite the different students and organizations on campus. Soon after, Day of the Dead will be held on Nov. 2, in collaboration with the Centro Cultural Cesar Chavez in celebration of Native American Heritage Month. More events are listed on the NAH website.

The NAL maintains a close relationship with both the Chepenefa Band of Kalapuya and the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. In addition, many elders serve on the NAL Eena Haws Advisory Council and are actively engaged with the center. 

“Our primary purpose is to be a resource for students to build community and learn more about each other,” Whitebear said. “We hope to see you stop by to learn more about us soon!”