Heimlich controversy, Vandy Preview and All-Americans named

Mitchell Monge, Multimedia Contributor

Luke Heimlich

Thursday morning, The Oregonian published an article bringing to light the startling past of one current Oregon State baseball player.

Luke Heimlich’s juvenile record, after being received by The Oregonian, revealed several child molestation charges against the 15-year-old Heimlich for conduct against a 6-year-old female family member.

In August 2012, Heimlich was convicted of one count of child molestation, as reported on legal documents obtained by The Oregonian through a public records request. Child molestation in the first degree is a Class A felony in the state of Washington. The Oregonian also reported that Heimlich’s home state of Washington has listed him as a “low-risk sex offender.”

Oregon State University Vice President for Marketing Relations Steve Clark made a statement on the issue Thursday morning.

“The Oregonian account is disturbing, and Oregon State University in no way condones the conduct as reported and that we understand was addressed years ago by the judicial system in the state of Washington.” Clark wrote. “We take this issue very seriously.”

In addition, President Ed Ray wrote an email to all OSU students regarding the article published.

“I find this account disturbing and want to let you know that OSU does not condone the conduct as reported,” Ray wrote Thursday morning. “But we also understand that this case involves a criminal matter that was previously addressed by the judicial system in the state of Washington.
We take this issue very seriously, and I want to be clear that each day the safety and security of our students, faculty and staff is Oregon State University’s number-one priority.

“By university policy, all OSU students – including student-athletes – are subject to the same academic criteria, admissions standards, codes of conduct and community standards while applying to and attending the university.”

Heimlich participated in the team’s practice Thursday, but head coach Pat Casey did not say whether or not the junior lefty will start this weekend for certain.

Casey noted that there will be at least two starts in the series, and that Heimlich has “been one of our starters all year.”

Several students have already voiced their displeasure, especially via social media. There has already been a group that will protest if Heimlich indeed plays this weekend.

Vandy Preview

Oregon State’s road to the College World Series will not be easy.

The Beavers must go through Vanderbilt, the team that defeated them in the Super Regionals in 2011. It is the only Super Regional series loss in the history of Oregon State baseball.

Despite sweeping the regional round last weekend, head coach Pat Casey knows competition will heat up this week.

“We’re gonna have to be better.” Casey said. “That’s all there is to it. Thoroughbreds get to Omaha. And we’re just gonna have to get better.”

Vandy features a tough pitching staff, led by potential No. 1 overall pick Kyle Wright.

Wright (5-5) enters the weekend with a 2.98 ERA after a difficult start to his 2017 campaign. He has since turned it around, looking dominant over the last month especially. Wright and teammate Jeren Kendall were both named All-Americans, second and third team respectively.

Even after facing challenging pitchers like Oregon’s David Peterson, Casey admits that the offense will be challenged this coming week by the Commodores’ pitchers.

“As good or better than anybody we’ve seen,” Casey said. “There’s no doubt about it. Vanderbilt is as talented as any team in the country.”

Vanderbilt has been to the College World Series twice in the last three years, winning in 2014, and finishing as runners-up in 2015. A quality baseball program, Vanderbilt will provide a legitimate test for the Beavers this weekend.

First pitch is set for 6:00 p.m. PT and will air on ESPN2.

Jake Mulholland, Brandon Eisert named freshman All-Americans.

Oregon State baseball brought home two more awards Wednesday.

Mulholland and Eisert were both named All-Pac-12 honorable mention, and now have another award to represent their young, promising careers.

“They’re great,” pitching coach Nate Yeskie said. “They both take instruction very well. Generally when you tell them something, they don’t deviate from that path. They really stay locked into what it is they need to be working on, they don’t come off of it.”

Mulholland started his season by pitching 22.2 scoreless innings, and owns a 1.32 ERA in 47.1 innings pitched. Mulholland also owns a 6-1 record, and has notched six saves as well.

Eisert owns a 2.18 ERA in 45.1 innings pitches, while striking out 48 batters. Eisert also possesses a 5-0 record, and has notched four saves as well.

“I’ve seen a few (hitters) that I think are going to play in the big leagues one day, and they’re getting those guys out,” Yeskie said. “It’s neat to see. It’s a good recognition for their hard work, but they certainly are both motivated more on the team side of things…”

Both have been used in extended relief roles, and were the top two in innings pitched out of the bullpen. Mulholland and Eisert will look to continue their success in the rest of the postseason.