Lois Bates Acheson Veterinary Hospital nurtures animals and students

Garrett Taylor, Practicum Contributor

When it comes to finding a veterinarian, there are numerous services one could call on throughout the city of Corvallis, but students don’t need to go any further than the Lois Bates Acheson Veterinary Hospital on the Oregon State University campus. Located in Magruder Hall at 700 SW 30th St. behind Reser Stadium, it specializes in both small and large animals, including pets from cats and dogs to horses.

According to Christopher Cebra, who previously worked as faculty for Clinical Services 19 years while also working in the hospital for the first 15 years, and is currently a chair of Clinical Services, there are about 30 professors who work at the hospital. These professors include Kate Scollan, an associate professor and expert in cardiology at the hospital, and Ron Mandsager, who is an associate professor in the College of Veterinary Medicine that specializes in anesthesiology at the Veterinary Hospital.

Those who work in the hospital enjoy what they do–teach and work in the same area of expertise, according to Scollan.

“Being able to interact with the clients is great,” Scollan said.

The faculty members at the Veterinary Hospital hold their customers in the highest regard, wanting to ensure the continued health of their animals, whatever they are.

“Sometimes we provide anesthesia for a two pound kitten and a fifteen hundred pound horse on the same day,” Mandsager said.

According to Mandsager, an average day for the anesthesiologists can have five to six cases in a single day with up to eight or 10 on the busy days. Most of those who work at the hospital stay on call for large animal emergency services. For example, a broken leg for a horse can mean irreversible damage for the animal.

“I think that working at the veterinary hospital is great because it lets you perform a patient service, and gives you the opportunity to teach,” Cebra said.

According to all three professors, they enjoy their time working in the hospital, watching students in their courses become much more confident in their capabilities. Watching the incoming second years rise through the ranks to much more trusted positions, and eventually graduate and move into the world and take their work with them is something that the faculty finds very rewarding.

Being a part of a university also allows the hospital a chance to research a wide variety of topics that can help lead to more effective treatment of animals in the future. Some of their focused areas of research are in minimally invasive surgery, small animal rehabilitation, sport animal medicine and oncology.

Normal operating hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday through Friday. For small animal appointments, call 541-737-4812, and for large animal appointments, call 541-737-2858. Additional information and email addresses can be found at the Lois Bates Acheson Veterinary Hospital website.