Students react to new OSU logo

Andrew Trapalis, Multimedia Contributor

Oregon State University released a new institutional logo on Monday, to celebrate the three campuses around Oregon—Corvallis, Bend and Newport.

While the old logo lacked in substance, the new logo has much to offer. Designed by Pentagram Design, and marketed through Ologie, expectations for the logo were high. Both contracts were funded through royalties and licensed merchandise, while also being backed by the OSU Foundation. No public funds or tuition dollars were spent on creating the logo, according to the University Relations and Marketing website.

The logo features a new take on parts of Oregon State symbolism and pride. It focuses on combining many aspects of Oregon State’s curriculum, history, culture and four research grants: land, sea, space and sun.

“Oregon State University’s new institutional logo celebrates OSU’s near 150-year legacy of excellence in teaching, research and outreach and engagement,” said OSU’s vice president of University Relations and Marketing, Steve Clark, to KVAL-13 on Monday morning.

Though Clark’s optimism runs high, after only one day of reflection, many students in the Memorial Union Quad expressed their questions, concerns and opinions on the logo.

“The new logo gives Oregon State a label that just isn’t there,” Mackenzie Patterson, a freshman studying civil engineering, said. “The logo is trying too hard to be something that it isn’t.”

Oregon State is nationally accredited for its student involvement, leadership and development throughout all platforms on campus. When word broke that the logo was outsourced and designed by Pentagram Design in Austin, Texas, without student collaboration here on campus, senior Celeste Donnelly was in shock.

“Unprofessional,” Donnelly said.  “When I check Twitter, the initial reaction is that we are converting to a more, ‘private college look’, and we are stepping away from our roots of student involvement. I feel one of the many talented and exceptional graphic design majors could have done a better job for a cheaper price.”

The timing of this release came as a shock to some, especially because of the recent news of a 4% tuition increase for in-state students next year. Teric Sargeant, a sophomore studying mechanical engineering, was more concerned with the decision-making process than the actual logo itself.

“Waste of money and resources,” Sargeant said. “We have bigger issues on this campus, like tuition increases, then to be wasting more money on a logo that didn’t need to be replaced. This is another step our faculty has taken to make us a less student involved campus. We are losing the symbolism of what it means to be a Beaver.”