Meningococcal vaccinations still available

Bailey Hill, Multimedia Contributor

Vaccinations for the meningococcal are still available for students, even if they missed the vaccination clinic last week.

OSU and Benton County oversaw the vaccination of over 1,800 students against type B meningococcal disease.

On Wednesday March 8th, and Thursday March 9th, OSU’s Student Health Services held vaccination clinics in the McAlexander Fieldhouse. Through these clinics, Student Health Services was able to provide over 1,800 students vaccines to help prevent the disease, in addition to the 650 vaccinations administered last fall by local pharmacies and private physicians.

These clinics were held due to the three cases of type B meningococcal disease that have arose within the Oregon State community within the past four months.

Students are still encouraged to get the vaccine if they are to be considered at-risk for the disease. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, students at the highest risk for the disease are those that are under the age of 25, those who live in on-campus housing, and those that either live, or frequently visit fraternal living groups (a target group of approximately 7,000 students at OSU).

Steve Clark, Vice President of OSU’s University Relations and Marketing claims in his statement with the Benton County Health Department that,

“This was an excellent start in our efforts to vaccinate at-risk students and protect community health,” Clark said, “We’re going to continue our communication and outreach to students who have not yet been vaccinated and make sure that they, and their families understand the importance of this two-part vaccine regimen, and that there’s still time to be vaccinated.”

For those that have not yet received the vaccine, students will still be provided the opportunity at Student Health Services.

Spring Break also poses an excellent opportunity for students who have not yet been vaccinated to get in touch with their local care providers for those that will be traveling back home to assist students in administering the vaccine.

Health officials recommend that all students beware of symptoms including high fever, stiff neck, rash, headaches, exhaustion, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, as they could be indicative of the disease.

If any students are exhibiting these symptoms, they should immediately visit either Student Health Services, or a local care provider. Student Health Services is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.   

For more information about the vaccine or the disease, call the OSU Student Health Services Nurse Advice line at 541-737-2724 or the Benton County Health Department communicable disease nurses at 541-766-6835. 

Student Health Services:

http://studenthealth.oregonstate.edu/infectious-diseases/meningococcal-disease

Oregon Health Authority:

http://public.health.oregon.gov/DiseasesConditions/DiseasesAZ/Pages/disease.aspx?did=51