OSUsed store hosts sale

Keenan Puncocher, Multimedia Contributor

The OSUsed store held its bidaily public sale on Tuesday Nov. 29 from 5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.

Located in the Property Services Building at 644 SW. 13th Street., in Corvallis, the store sells heavily discounted items donated from the Oregon State campus department buildings.

Merchandise includes used furniture such as desks, file cabinets, tables, chairs and bookcases, while also selling discounted computers and computer accessories, office supplies, bicycles, household items, and much more.

“I enjoy coming here because they always seem to have great discounts on cheap furniture for my apartment,” said junior student Anna Tillman. “Whether it’s an end table, couch, or TV stand, I have purchased several items over the years.”

Campus building employees have the option to go directly online and easily select a pick up when they have something to donate.

A store employee will then drive to the location, pick up the item and quickly place a price tag so that it can be sold as soon as possible.

Public sales are held on Tuesday evenings as well as on Fridays from noon until 3:00 p.m. giving the opportunity for the public to make purchases. Staff may shop for their department, government agency, or nonprofit on Mondays through Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

The store is largely made up of Oregon State student employees who can make money while serving the community as well.

“We have about 40 student employees working here now,” said employee Max Braly. “I have been working here since 2012, and the people I work with are pretty cool, it’s a good community.”

For added convenience, the OSUsed store is also available to the general public online. Customers can use websites such as eBay and labX to bid on a wide range of products.

“For me, I like to use the online bidding,” said Corvallis resident Jacob Mcbride. “It seems to be an underutilized way to save money if you can’t go the shop itself.”

Students looking for a new bike to use around campus could save big at the OSUsed store with dozens of bikes to choose from.

“I have actually purchased a bike here,” said Braly. “I was able to fix it up and now have a perfect campus bike that I bought for 30 dollars.”

Perhaps the most unusual and expensive item that the store has seen was a fire truck sold last year during the 2015 summer.

“We had a fire truck that was for sale and it sold for half a million dollars,” said Braly. “We’ve seen all sorts of stuff including planes, yachts, and motorcycles.”

For a complete list of sale dates and special discount nights, visit the OSU events calendar online for everything OSUsed store related. The store also has a Facebook page with up to date sale information and products.

Oregon State students are especially encouraged to browse through the discounted merchandise to save money on commonly needed school supplies.

“Honestly, if you are a student, you could save a lot of money by coming here,” said Braly.