Homecoming weekend in Corvallis

Kaylie Sundberg, Multimedia Contributor

Homecoming is a simple word with such a big purpose: bringing old friends and classmates together again. Homecoming is a time for alumni living in different cities and states and current students to come together and celebrate being apart of Beaver Nation.

There were a handful of events that were part of Homecoming Weekend at Oregon State this past weekend. The Homecoming events included; a carnival, Beaver Bash, which included a pep rally with Coach Andersen, members of the football team, OSU band and cheerleaders and the main attraction, the football game against the Washington State Cougars on Saturday evening.

Kevin Miller, the Editor of Oregon Stater Alumni Magazine, describes past homecoming traditions at Oregon State.

Homecoming events at OSU, which was known as Oregon Agriculture College back then, date back to 1918. Many alumni traveled back to Corvallis by train as their friends packed the train station waiting for their arrival. The Corvallis train station used to be where the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant is today.

“Back then there was no way to communicate quickly with one another so people really looked forward to homecoming. Homecoming was a big event to reconnect with your friends,” said Miller. “The alumni were invited back to relive their glory days.”

Homecoming events back then, included tug-a-wars, different competitions, a bonfire, live music and a football game. The bonfire tradition burned out just a few years ago, due to safety hazards.

Matthew Fenstermaker, the Early Engagement Director at Oregon State University Alumni Association, describes the importance of the current homecoming events.

“It’s the chance to connect all Beavers—past, present, and future. It’s a chance for current students to celebrate this great university and everything it has to offer,” said Fenstermaker. “It’s a chance for our alumni to return home to share in this celebration. Homecoming is a celebration for all generations and brings Beaver Nation together.”

As far as keeping the homecoming tradition alive, Fenstermaker expresses his goals for creating new and innovative ways to get students excited and involved with homecoming.

“I want to let our students know what homecoming is and get them excited so they can have a shared experience with current students. It is this connection that makes Homecoming such a special time on college campuses. It’s a weekend to celebrate this place we call home.”

Renzo Marchini, a junior at OSU, studying business, describes his experience about the carnival.

“I just stumbled upon the event as I walked through campus with my friend.” Marchini said. “The event was a lot of fun and the volunteers were super friendly. There were carnival games, a raffle and a photo booth. It was a good time celebrating Benny’s birthday and being apart of Beaver Nation! I am looking forward to next year’s festivities”