Beavers Focus On Offensive Balance Ahead of Utah

Keenan Puncocher, Multimedia Contributor

Fresh off of an overtime win against Pac-12 opponent Cal, the Beavers took to the practice field looking to carryover their positive energy and momentum.

Coming off the exciting win on Saturday, the team was able to once again be reminded of how sweet victory is to each of them. Both players and coaches were able to focus on the positive aspects of the team’s performance and build on it moving forward.

Sophomore running back Ryan Nall who ran for 221 yards and three touchdowns in the game against Cal, spoke to what it was like for the team to celebrate a victory against a Pac-12 opponent after so long.

“With it being over a year since we have been able to get a Pac-12 win, it meant a lot for everyone, especially for those Seniors who have been here throughout the tough times,” Nall said. “The energy has been up since the win, and we’re using that looking forward to our advantage.”

After achieving a total of 474 rushing yards against the Bears, the Beavers are looking to carry over the success of the run game, while also focusing on the pass game. Utah is a team that so far this season has had success at stopping the run game, holding opponents to only 119 yards per game, 3rd best in the Pac-12.

Co-offensive coordinator Kevin McGiven spoke to his offensive focus looking ahead to Utah, as well as how to improve the passing game.

“Well we’re not going to be able to rush like that every week,” McGiven said. “Our story all year so far is still focusing on deep throws. Often passes go out of bounds or off target, we have to be able to give our quarterback chances.”

Second string running back Artavis Pierce, talked about his role so far this season on offense, as well as what he feels needs to be done in order to achieve success against Utah.

“Against Cal we executed and played 110 percent every play. We came in with a chip on our shoulder, knowing a lot of people expected us to lose,” Pierce said. “I came here to help rebuild for coach Anderson and I feel like we’re starting that now.”

In preparation for Utah, running back Ryan Nall gave his closing thoughts about how his team should look ahead going forward.

“No matter who we play, win or lose, our preparation has to be the same week in and week out,” said Nall. “The team chemistry is the strongest it’s been this season. Winning against Cal reminded us of what we are all capable of.”