Corvallis Fred Meyer Hosts Annual College Night

Corvallis streets were emptier than usual Monday night, as students wrapped around the Fred Meyer on Kings Boulevard, eager to stock up on everyday essentials before fall term begins Wednesday.

Now in its 15th year, the Corvallis Fred Meyer hosted their annual College Night event from 10:30 p.m. until 1 a.m., which provided Oregon State University students with a unique student-centered shopping experience.

With a line forming around 9 p.m., hundreds of students waited outside of Fred Meyer and were handed flyers containing student-specific discounts. The first 100 students through the door received a free ‘swag bag’.

Fred Meyer provided students waiting in line with free entertainment from disc jockeys from OSU’s KBVR FM, as well as food and in this growing annual tradition.

Shuttle busses were available for students who lived on campus for the duration of the event, providing an alternative to the crowded parking lot. Each bus could hold around ten students and operated from 10 p.m. until 1:30 a.m.

Shuttle bus drivers consisted of both OSU staff and volunteers, including volunteer driver Dillion Neely.

“It is nice to see the students together and give them some shopping experience since most freshmen don’t have that yet,” Neely said. “It is awesome that Fred Meyer is able to partner with the local university and put this together for the students.”

Inside the store, students were offered hundreds of discounts on common essential items, free food, music and Benny the Beaver. For sophomore student Samantha Sterling, the entertainment and food made the wait worthwhile.

“It is a great chance to stock up on basic essentials and hangout with friends,” Sterling said. “Free food is always good motivation too.”

Inside of the store, a sea of students grabbed shopping baskets and scanned the aisles for deals on everyday items, which ranged from toiletries and snacks to specially discounted apparel and electronics. Fred Meyer offered exclusive discounts to students during this time that expired after the event ended.

Staff members were on hand to assist with the large volume of students, including Fred Meyer employee Haden Cecil.

“The staff here enjoys working this night because both the employees and students have a good time throughout, and being a student employee myself, I often see friends or people I know which makes the night fun.” Cecil said. “Basically it’s a less chaotic Black Friday with more discounts and focus on the students.”