Corvallis community band fills the air of Corvallis’ Central Park

Hannah Loh, Multimedia Contributor

Music filled the air as hundreds of people gathered in Corvallis Central Park to enjoy “Frank Loesser Favorites – featuring Anne Hubble” by the Corvallis Community Band on Tuesday, August 23rd. Their playlist for the night included songs like Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition, Hans Christian Andersen, and Tribute to Frank Loesser: Big D (from The Most Happy Fella).

The event was sponsored by the Tuesday Evening Band Geek Support Group and was conducted by Steve Matthes, Director of the Corvallis Community Band.

The Corvallis Community Band, which currently consists of about 75 members, puts on a show at the park every Tuesday throughout the summer that is free and open to public. The musical organization is open to anyone with experience playing a band instrument with at least high school level ability. Members’ ages range from 13 to over 80.

The band aims to provide concerts for the enjoyment of the community, while being a platform for musicians to play in a friendly, high-quality musical organization. Summer concerts are held in Central Park as the Band has a co-sponsorship agreement with Corvallis Parks and Recreation, which allows free use of the park.

The Band has one more summer concert next Tuesday, August 30th, featuring the Corvallis Community Band Favorites.