Outgoing Editor-in-Chief Reflects

Rachel Suchan

Imagine spending hours working tirelessly on a final project. You research, write, study, proofread, design and triple check everything. Then print out five thousand copies and distribute them all across town and on the internet for everyone you know and thousands of people you don’t know to read it, judge it and tell you what you did wrong.

Then do that five days a week for an entire year.

That’s what it’s like to be editor-in-chief of a daily newspaper.

I absolutely loved it.

My time here has taught me more than I could have ever imagined about community, relationships, involvement and accomplishments.

Thank you for never being afraid to point out my failures. I have learned more from them than you will ever know.

The late nights and stressful deadlines are all worth the invaluable experiences I have gained through my time here.

As you may already know, after 95 years of daily service to the students, The Daily Barometer now faces a fundamental shift which will certainly change the publication as we know it forever.

For those of us who have been a part of this paper and grown up with newspapers still delivered to doorsteps, this shift is met with a sizable dose of nostalgia. Alongside it, though, excitement, collaboration and creativity as we transition to a period of innovation and evolution.

As The Daily Barometer moves from daily print to a weekly publication, know that as journalists, our job remains the same—to entertain and inspire, to educate and inform, to represent the underrepresented, to be a voice for the voiceless, to speak for those too afraid to speak for themselves.

Help the future staff in their journey by approaching their mistakes with a gentle understanding. As students and even just as human beings, we are always learning and growing.

Know that as a student body it is absolutely possible for your voices to be heard, and that the Barometer is here to help make that happen.

Above all else, thank you for reading. Thank you for caring and for sharing our articles and your opinions.

Thank you for using our publication as a platform for sharing important campus issues.

Keep on keepin’ on and don’t forget to write.

Sent from your mom’s ipad.

The opinions expressed in Suchan’s column do not necessarily represent those of The Daily Barometer staff.