COVID-19 policies for 2022-2023 move-in

Connor Kealey

OSU will not be mandating COVID-19 testing before moving into the dorms, however students are advised to get vaccinated if they have not already and take an at-home COVID-19 test before move-in.

Haley Stark, News Contributor

Last September, Reser Stadium was filled with thousands of new Oregon State University students, not to watch Beavers football, but to take COVID-19 tests before moving into the dorms.

Sept. 17-20 marks the move-in period for incoming freshmen for the 2022-2023 academic year, and while students won’t have to wait in hour-long lines to get swabbed this fall, OSU still requires vaccination proof and a negative test for them to move in on time.

“Students moving into OSU residence halls will be asked to test for COVID-19 prior to arriving to our campuses in Corvallis and Bend, and if they test positive (they will) delay their arrival,” said Vice Provost of Student Affairs Dan Larson.

Last academic year, a hotel was specifically reserved to house students who tested positive at Reser last year. According to Marneli Pascacio, a customer service representative at University Housing and Dining Services, there’s a possibility that UHDS could take this action again this year.

“There will be no ‘move-in testing’ this fall, but students are asked to take an at-home COVID-19 test prior to arrival on campus,” Clark said via an email. “And if they test positive, delay coming to campus while following Oregon Health Authority isolation guidance.”

When students do arrive on campus and begin their academic journey, OSU will provide them support if they have any COVID-19 related concerns.  

Classes will continue to be held on campus just as they were last term, but remote options may be available for those who contract COVID-19 throughout the year. According to Larson, professors will work with students to support their learning even if they cannot physically be in the classroom.

“Students who test positive will need to isolate per Oregon Health Authority guidelines and are advised to contact their teaching faculty to let them know they’ll not be able to attend class while infectious, and to work out arrangements to keep up with coursework, as they would with other illnesses,” Larson said.

At the beginning of the year, the federal government began a program that mailed out free at-home tests to households who signed up to receive them. The program was suspended on Sept. 2, but OSU students will still have free access to at-home tests and other kinds of testing through OSU. 

“While supplies last, OSU will continue to provide free at-home test kits at multiple locations on the Corvallis campus. As well, SHS will provide PCR diagnostic testing for symptomatic Corvallis-based students,” Clark said.

These at-home test kits can be found at the Plageman Building, the Memorial Union Info Desk, the Student Experience Center Info Desk and all dining centers across campus.

OSU students will also receive messages from the university concerning the school’s response to COVID-19.

“The university will continue to provide the university community with email updates and helpful health website information, including how students can continue to receive information and services from the SHC,” Clark said.

In addition, SHS’s website provide answers to FAQs about COVID, including information about what students need to do if they’ve tested positive or been exposed throughout the school year.