Authorities still searching for suspect involved in campus hit-and-run

Hayden Lohr

Oregon State University public safety department cars are lined up outside Kerr Administration in November of 2021. Anyone with information on the incident is urged to contact OSU DPS at 541-737-3010.

Wes Flow, News Reporter

Oregon State University’s Department of Public Safety is still searching for a driver and red pickup involved in a hit-and-run on Jan. 28 that sent a pedestrian to the hospital.

The incident occurred at the intersection of SW 15th St. and SW Washington Way, according to a tweet from the DPS. 

According to Camille Heckert, the victim, her 17 year old son Austin, was crossing the street after leaving a basketball game when the collision occurred. 

“Three people walking behind my son, also crossing the street, saw the truck coming and yelled out to warn my son that it was about to hit him,” said Heckert. “The truck, which was turning left, hit him just as he started to turn around to see why they shouted.”

After the crash, he was transported to Samaritan Hospital, where he was diagnosed with a fractured vertebra, along with other minor injuries. He has since been released from the hospital, and continues to recover at home, although the injuries he suffered continue to affect his day-to-day life.

“He is missing out on his senior year; he can’t go to school, to work, his plans for spring break are canceled,” said Heckert.

The DPS said the suspect was described as a white male in his 20’s. The vehicle involved was a red pickup truck with a canopy. Anyone with information on the incident is urged to contact OSU DPS at 541-737-3010.