OSU plans fourth annual In Memoriam event

Rida Kauser

Oregon State University plans to honor community members who died last year with their fourth annual In Memoriam event on May 6 in the Memorial Union Main Lounge.

This year’s event, scheduled from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., can be attended in person or live streamed on OSU Live, according to the event’s website.

The event is intended to honor all members of the OSU community who died, including students, faculty and alumni. This year’s ceremony will include poetry, activities for reflection and live music, according to the OSU press release. Musical guests include a student guitarist and the OSU Vocal Ensemble, as well as a student poetry recitation.

The event will be accompanied by an online memorial wall, where people can honor and mourn community members they knew who have died. Posters can submit a photo and brief message about the person they wish to post, as well as their connection to the university. Those who wish to make a submission to the memorial wall can do so by filling out a form.

This year marks the fourth time OSU In Memoriam has been held. The first event, held in 2021, took place entirely online, according to a Barometer article about the event.  The 2022 In Memoriam took place in the Student Experience Center Plaza, as seen from the event’s livestream, while last year’s event was also held in the MU, according to a 2023 Barometer article.

The university offers resources for those grieving losses. Students in need of support can contact OSU’s Counseling and Psychological Services online, via email at [email protected] or by calling 541-737-2131.