The college experience

Alexander Banks, News Contributor

Even though Oregon State University only mandates first-year students to live on campus, some undergrads continue living on campus rather than weighing other options. 

With 16 different residence halls, free laundry and more than 25 different micro-restaurants, “the college experience” is something those undergrads still desire.  

OSU offers plenty of resources to immerse you into Beaver culture, but for first-year history major Miguel Barbosa, the most important thing is experiencing a real, bittersweet taste of independence.   

Although Barbosa is a freshman he lives off campus with his parents, both being professors at the university. One of the very few exceptions allowed for incoming students. 

After his first term, he plans on moving out of the house and into the dorms, to take advantage of the complete college experience. 

“I spend less time with my friends because I’m off campus,” Barbosa said. 

With all of his necessities being in close proximity: classes, friends and a library, Barbosa feels that living on-campus will give him the ability to optimize the most time with his friends as they all undergo the freshman experience together. 

He recommends that even if a freshman might have the ability to live off campus, like himself, they should at least experience what living in a dormitory is like.  

“I wouldn’t have to pay for utilities which comes with the cost of the dorm room,” Barbosa said. “It all depends on what is more important to you, (like) personal freedom.”

Freedom, however, is just one of the many perks that come with living on campus. 

Rebecca Munk, a third year math and physics double major, chose to continue living on campus for her own convenience. 

“It was just easier to figure out,” Munk continues. “I had done it last year and I already knew the process. It keeps all your finances in one place.”

Munk enjoys spending time in physics-specific clubs and partaking in the different events at the university, such as the Halloween party and bubble party earlier in the year. 

Being within walking distance only makes life easier for her.

According to University Housing and Dining Services, in self-conducted research and studies done by OSU, students who live on campus earn better grades and graduate quicker. 

However, according to Munk, being around freshmen can get annoying since they are so loud, which is why Munk lives in Halsell Hall, a dorm exclusive to at least second-year students and those that are transferring. 

OSU caters to many different students and their unique living situations: students with children can apply to live in Orchard Court, students who are in recovery for substance abuse can apply to live in Dixon Lodge and students who want to experience different cultures can apply to live in the International Living and Learning Community building. 

Unfortunately, convenience might not always be possible, and being away from loud freshmen could be the least of some student’s worries. 

“I had a terrible time reserving my room,” Munk said. “They — (UHDS) — kept talking about system malfunctions and being understaffed.” 

UHDS was not available at the time of publication to comment.