Walk the walk

Erin Dose, News Contributor

They emerged from the white tent, colorful and confident. 

With powerful postures and energetic walks, the models carried a variety of garments down the white runway. Their faces held gold glitter, resembling the golden string lights wrapped around the pillars. Applause filled the air as the models from each collection finished their walk through the audience.

The Oregon State University spring fashion show “Aurora” took place on May 20 in the Student Experience Center plaza. The event featured 14 student clothing designers and 28 models. The event also had a system of volunteer committees, each focusing on a different aspect of the show.

According to Allison Jackson, a co-organizer of the event, this show differed from previous years.

“This is the first year we are doing it outside. We have a lot less designers this year. That gives us more ability to be creative with the runway walk and let it last longer,” Jackson said. 

While the majority of the designers took a class to prepare for the show, the models had a different type of preparation leading up to the event, according to Emma Johnstone, one of the model coaches for the show.

“Runway modeling requires a lot of practice, especially if models have not walked a runway before,” Johnstone said. “We practice many skills, from how to walk while keeping your body still, how to walk in heels, posing, facial expression, timing and much more. Not to mention all the fittings with designers and rehearsals that we have in preparation for the show.”

According to Celena Camacho, who is modeling in the spring fashion show for the second time, practicing modeling techniques daily was helpful.

“I made sure to improve my posture. I try to work on that everyday. Our coaches give us tips, too, about practicing while walking to class and thinking about rhythm and timing of music as well,” Camacho said. 

Other work on the show included sound, lighting and decoration committee members, music and styling volunteers and a promotional group, according to Jackson.

“It’s been nice working with everyone. We can bounce ideas off of each other,” Jackson said.

For the apparel design majors, the show also provides an opportunity to try new designs and showcase their work, according to Jackson.

“I like to put on this event so we can get exposure and get experience showing our collections,” Jackson said. 

Desgner Marie Recine created her first swimsuit line and her own textile. 

“For this collection, I was inspired by designing swimsuits that would be both sporty and feminine. I wanted to create cute swimsuits that would stay on in the waves,” Recine said. “The textile inspiration came from my love of tropical weather and culture.”

According to designer Mia Caramelli, her collection is unique with a non-traditional element.

“I’m very proud of my work this year because my collection is very original. It’s an athletic collection inspired by the psychedelic music and art from the ‘60s and ‘70s,” Caramelli said. “My favorite piece I’m showing includes LED lights.” 

According to Caramelli, the show has provided her with an opportunity to grow as a designer.

“The best part of preparing for this fashion show has been watching my ideas come to life,” Caramelli said. “It’s truly rewarding to see how my designs have flourished.”

The event also brings the participating students together, according to Jackson.

“Because I’m a designer myself, doing this with my peers is pretty great,” Jackson said.

Others agree that working with other students is one of the major benefits of participating in the show. According to Camacho, participating in the show was a social experience. 

“The best part is making friends, honestly,” Camacho said.