Taylor Jr. achieves career high to push Beavers to win against Bushnell University

Madison Taylor

Sophomore forward Glenn Taylor Jr. rises up for a layup against junior Spencer Hoffman of Bushnell University in the second half of the Beavers victory in Gill Coliseum. Taylor Jr. tallied 19 points on 7-11 shooting from the field along with three rebounds and three assists.

The Beavers beat the Bushnell University Beacons 83-66 on Tuesday at Gill Coliseum, giving Oregon State three consecutive wins opening their season, which has not been accomplished since their 2018-19 season.

Tuesday was also the second time Oregon State faced Bushnell University, previously Northwest Christian University, where the Beavers won 74-52 at Gill Coliseum in 2015. 

Last year, due to NCAA eligibility rules, Chol Marial was unable to see any action on the court, but returning this season, one of four Beavers returning from the year prior, Marial started the first half by taking possession of the ball after the jump ball.

The Beacons soon took control, as a bad pass turnover led to a steal from Bushnell guard Kaden Sand. 

Oregon State’s defense kept their eye on the ball, as Jordan Pope, who was awarded the PAC-12 Freshman of the Week on Monday, scored a three-pointer with an assist from sophomore guard Dexter Akanno; a layup by Glenn Taylor Jr., with an assist by Pope soon to follow. 

Less than five minutes into the first half, a dunk was made by junior guard Dexter Akanno. This momentum set the tone for the rest of the game, as the Beavers held the lead for the remainder of the game, with their best lead being 27 points.

Although Tuesday’s game was an exhibition for Bushnell, the Beacons pushed the Beavers as junior center Spencer Hoffman scored 27 points and 11 rebounds. 

Junior guard Trevon  Richmond also scored in the double digits with 12 points.

Taylor Jr. led the Beavers with points scored, totaling 19 points on 7-11 shooting from the field.

Pope helped out by putting up 15 points in the win, and senior forward Dzmitry Ryuny also scored 12 points. 

The Beavers finished the game with 26 assists on 34 field goals made.

“That’s a great ratio,” head coach Wayne Tinkle commented. “When we’re moving the ball, we’re attacking, we’re looking to share it, that’s when we’re going to be at our best.”

With nine new players, there have been some adjustments in team dynamics, however, Taylor Jr. commented on this, stating that the team has good chemistry.

“We’re clicking,” Taylor Jr. said. “We’re clicking at the right time. I feel like we’re sharing the ball amazingly and we look connected.”

Next up, Oregon State plays Portland State at Gill Coliseum on Nov. 19 at 7 p.m.