New apartment complex opening in south Corvallis next year

Ashton Bisner

The southtown Corvallis apartments construction site on June 6. The apartments being built are for low-income individuals and are expected to be completed Fall of 2024.

Hannah Lull, News Contributor

By the fall of 2024, Corvallis will have a new apartment complex geared explicitly towards lower-income individuals. Union at Pacific Highway, developed by The Annex Group, will offer 174 apartments to those earning less than 60% of the area’s median income. This complex will open in south Corvallis at 2910 SW Third St., 97333. 

The complex will offer one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments. The property will also include a community center, a fitness center, a playground, community gardens, a dog park, activity rooms, a picnic area and other amenities. Oregon State University will be within a five-minute drive, so it could be expected that many OSU students will start leasing at this property. 

Affordable housing is already a major demand from college students, and this unique AMI criterion can specifically help those trying to balance funds for tuition, housing and other necessities. Union at Pacific Highway will be operated under the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program, created in 1986 as part of the Tax Reform Act. 

Although called Union at Pacific Highway, these apartments have no affiliation with The Union Apartments, located on Harrison Blvd. This will be the first apartment complex in Corvallis developed by The Annex Group, as they are mainly stationed in Indianapolis, Indiana. They currently have over 32 communities, located mostly in the midwestern states. 

“This is our first community in Corvallis, but we are truly committed to helping this area by combating the affordable housing shortage,” said Kyle Bach, CEO of The Annex Group. “We’re thrilled to be part of the affordable housing solution by offering people in this growing area a place to call home.”

According to a press release published by The Annex Group, Corvallis has grown 26% since 1990 and is expected to grow another 16% by 2036, with an estimated 10,000 new residents. 

“We have ample research conducted into areas before we decide to move forward with developments,” said David Wesner, director of development on the Corvallis project. “Corvallis is growing very quickly, and the rental market has not been able to keep up, so the sheer need for affordable housing was the primary driver.” 

Due to OSU being a main attraction for those wishing to live in Corvallis, many of these incoming residents may be low-income college students. A single person, such as a student wishing to rent from the Union, has to make under $39,960 annually. Although this may change by the time the complex is built, it can be checked at the City of Corvallis’ website

“We are thrilled to be a part of the affordable housing solution to Corvallis, Oregon,” Wesner said.  

Construction for the property began in January this year, but some implements are still being developed. For example, the cost of rent won’t be released until the apartments are almost complete. The Union also plans on initiating a Community Impact Plan, which is still in the creation process. 

“The details of the plan are still in the works during this stage of development,” Wesner said. “What we can share is that the plan will work to elevate residents’ quality of life and provide a robust amount of resources that we think will be meaningful for residents. We want people to grow and thrive while living in our communities.” 

Applications and pre-leasing will most likely open 120 days before moving in. Those who are interested in living in a Union apartment can visit their website and fill out the contact section. You’ll be added to email communications to hear about any important announcements regarding the development.