OSU offers advice to mitigate traffic ahead of Sept. 29 football game

Jules Wood
A detour sign sits at the crossing lane on the Oregon State University campus on July 12, 2023. OSU is working to deflate traffic for the football game on Sept. 29, 2023.

Big crowd meets small city is anticipated to be the story of Sept. 29 when the Utah Utes meet the Beavers in Corvallis. Here is everything you need to know for traffic before the day.

According to Rob Odom, vice president of University Relations and Marketing at Oregon State University, 40,000 fans, faculty, staff and students are expected to fill campus that day, causing special considerations for parking and transportation. 

For Sept. 29 only, OSU parking permit holders will be allowed to park in any A, B or C zones on campus. However, employees with vehicles in any red two lots outlined here must be removed by 1 p.m.

The Beaver Bus will be running from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. but Odom encourages individuals to walk, bike, carpool and utilize public transportation in an effort to avoid congestion. 

According to Odom, employees are also encouraged to work remotely. Employees are also eligible for a special $20 ticket – that can be claimed through this link – to the game in recognition and appreciation for their flexibility to accommodate the Friday night game.  

For those that plan on attending the game through a personal vehicle, an Athletics shuttle service will be running from the Benton County Fairgrounds, spots along Ninth St. and downtown Corvallis beginning at 3 p.m. and running every 15 minutes before the game. The shuttle will resume 30 minutes before the end of the game and up to two hours after the game, depending on demand. 

This shuttle is $5 per person and free for kids under 12 for a round trip service. 

“Let’s all do our part to help minimize game-day traffic and parking difficulties,” Odom said in an email. “And thanks for all that you do for Oregon State University. Go Beavs!”