Local philanthropist invites international students into local families

Rhwan Krogh stands outside of Kidder Hall on Oregon State’s campus on Oct. 15th. He helps international students adjust to life in Corvallis.
Aisling Gazzo

Renowned for his international heritage and dedication, Rhawn Krogh was born into a diverse family.

With three Korean descendant sisters, two Cambodian brothers and one Thai sister, Krogh and his six other blood-related siblings each bear middle names from various countries and languages.

Approximately two decades ago, Krogh initiated the Front Porch Friends program after retirement.

This initiative aimed to bridge the gap between international students and local American families, fostering a richer and more multidimensional educational and life experience.

Initially, a staggering 72% of international students struggled to establish connections with local American families, despite forming strong bonds with American classmates and friends.

Today, after nearly 20 years of operation, the program has not only endured but thrived. There are many local American families hosting international students in Corvallis. Krogh’s commitment extends to hosting 45 students in his own home.

He orchestrates diverse food festivals, celebrating the culinary traditions of his Indian, Chinese, Pakistani and other international guests.

In his capacity as a local philanthropist, Krogh spearheads the Operation Outreach program, an initiative with multifaceted humanitarian efforts.

One of the program’s key initiatives involves coordinating the shipment of medical supplies from local hospitals to Ukraine. This mission is executed in collaboration with humanitarian groups and churches, who generously cover transportation expenses and other associated costs.

Beyond these altruistic endeavors, Rhawn Krogh also embarked on a journey to support local communities in establishing their own businesses many years ago.

Samaritan Health Services owns five hospitals in Corvallis, Albany, Lebanon, Newport and Lincoln City. These institutions typically procure medical supplies in bulk quantities, often exceeding their immediate requirements.

This surplus is a result of minimum order size stipulations imposed by manufacturers, prompting a strategic decision to donate the excess medical supplies and equipment to countries in dire need.

Krogh has connected with the local hospitals through Operation Outreach donating medical supplies that include syringes, needles, hand sanitizer, linens, gloves and other medical equipment. There will always be a group of student volunteers helping assemble packages for delivery abroad.

The significance of these donations becomes evident when considering items like gloves, linens, and towels. Such essential supplies are in high demand, especially in conflict-ridden regions like Ukraine, where prompt access to medical resources is often a challenge for wounded soldiers and civilians.

There are Russians, Ukrainians and people from neighboring countries helping with transportation from Vancouver, where the boats leave the port to Poland, then to Ukraine.

Notably, on Oct. 10, another substantial shipment of medical supplies from Samaritan’s warehouse is slated for delivery to Ukraine, with estimated value in excess of $150,000 of its original costs.

This philanthropic effort is made possible through the collaborative efforts of a group of Oregon State University students and the indefatigable philanthropist, Krogh himself.