City of Corvallis works with beaver populations to mitigate flooding

Carter Pardue
Newly established wet land allows wetland wildlife to thrive and incorporates human decorational elements January 16, 2023.

Our industrial little neighbors, the beavers, are essential for the Corvallis ecosystem in many ways, but their dams can cause some problems in the city if left to their own devices. 

The Public Works Department collaborated with Parks and Recreation, Benton County and Mary’s River Watershed Council to design a dam leveler, which they believe to be the most effective way of preventing flooding and preserving the beaver’s habitat.

Beavers are semi-aquatic mammals that tend to live near rivers, streams, lakes, farm ponds, swamps and other wetland areas. Where there are beavers, there will be dams across streams to create a pool where the beavers can build a “beaver lodge” to live in and protect themselves from predators, according to Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute

The City of Corvallis Public Works department has spent a considerable amount of time clearing beaver dams that block water flow in urban streams, causing flooding in urban areas, according to Patrick Rollens, public information officer for the City of Corvallis, and has struggled to find a more permanent solution to the flooding without completely removing beavers from urban areas in recent years.

While a dam leveler may sound like an invasive solution, it is really just a small series of pipes that allow a small amount of water to flow through a part of the beaver dam. The pipes allow the beavers to continue to build their habitat surrounding the leveler, all while letting water drain to prevent an ever-increasing flood zone, according to Rollens.

Flowing through the whole city are networks of urban streams, which are maintained by the Public Works department. These waterways stretch through urban developments, commercial projects and parking lots, and are where the beavers typically construct their dams. 

“Some urban streams go through natural areas, these areas have various types of wildlife, the wildlife enhances that part of the creek and brings tons of ecological benefits to the Corvallis community,” Rollens said. 

In 2023, beavers in Corvallis received more coverage than usual, according to Rollens, which brought the issue of creating a cohesive ecosystem into the public eye. Once the project was complete, many people became worried about the beavers and protecting their habitat.

However, “Only a few short weeks after the installation of the dam leveler, the beavers, being industrial little guys, had completely built around the pipe and have made it a part of the ecosystem,” Rollens said.