Memorial Union roof lifespan extended following construction

Morgan Berryman
Oregon State University’s Memorial Union was surrounded with fencing as construction was coming to an end on Oct. 20.

If you were on the Oregon State University campus last term, chances are you spotted scaffolding that encircled the perimeter of the Memorial Union.

The MU roof’s lifespan has been extended for a few decades following work from July to November of 2023, according to Deb Mott, director of the Memorial Union.

“We didn’t replace the roof, but we added new material on the roof. It was cleaned up very well,” Mott said. “What that did is it gave us an extra 20 years of a guaranteed product, so we extended the life of the roof by doing that.”

Additionally, waterproofing sealant was needed around areas surrounding equipment and appliances on the MU’s roof.

“A lot of the units on top of the roof, air conditioners, exhaust fans for the different food service areas, where the roof material meets that, there had to be a lot of new material laid down on the roof to make it waterproof,” Mott said.

Repairs, upgrades and renewals on student fee funded buildings are planned and financed in advance, according to the lifespan of what is being serviced. According to Mott, this renovation in particular cost approximately $4 million.

“Because this building is a student fee funded building, that’s money that we save up over time. It took $2 million out of our building reserves which is like our savings account for the building,” Mott said. “And then there’s another fee you pay for the building improvement fee, and it took $2 million out of that.”

The MU, soon to turn 100 years old, had its roof last serviced 30 years ago. Once the newly installed material wears down, the roof itself will be old enough to need to be replaced, according to Mott.

“We’ve got 20 years to pay all this down, and then the roof will be like 50 years old, so then we’ll go through and put on a whole new roof,” Mott said. “Our current plan goes out 30 years for some things, like doing the roof. We put that on the plan and in the budget so we can track what we need down the road.”

In addition to the MU, Mott’s team also oversees the upkeep of the Student Experience Center, the cultural centers, Family Resource Center, Beaver Beginnings, Our Little Village Milne and multiple food service retail areas.

“We have a lot of eyeballs on everything, on all the buildings we take care of,” Mott said.

For additional information and history about the Memorial Union, those interested can visit their website.