Fire on Oregon State campus contained

The Baro Staff

The fire that started in a lab room of Burt Hall earlier today has been extinguished according to Fire Prevention Officer Jim Patton. Although no one was harmed, Patton expressed precautions that there still may be chemical hazards in the room and Burt Hall may remain closed for the rest of the day.

It appears that the fire started inside a scientific microwave oven, according to Patton. There have been no physical or exposure injuries reported at this point in time. Alarms were sounded properly in the building and people were safely evacuated.

There is significant damage to the lab as a result of the fire, as well as water damage to the lab and floors below.

T-Mobile Ad about 5G coverage and value

“We did have some concerns with folks attempting to reenter the building,” Patton said.

Patton expressed concern about the level of disregard for the fire alarms.

“When building fire alarms are going off, you evacuate immediately—you don’t reenter,” Patton said.

Updated at 7:44 p.m.