Public suicide at 28th and Van Buren, aftermath witnessed by student

Editor’s note: This story contains mention of suicide which may be harmful to some readers. If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, consult Counseling and Psychological Services’ Anytime Anywhere service which provides immediate counseling for 24 hours a day seven days a week at no additional cost.

One person has died following what police said was a self-inflicted gunshot wound at an intersection near Oregon State University on Tuesday morning.

At approximately 9:46 the Corvallis Police Department responded to a call near NW 28th Street and NW Van Buren Avenue in Corvallis regarding the death of one person. According to Corvallis Police Department Public Information Officer Ben Harvey, the death was found to be the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

Witness Lexi Geampa, a junior at OSU studying human development and family sciences, was on her way to class scheduled for 9:50 a.m. when she saw a cluster of five-to-six young men gathered on the corner of NW 28th Street and NW Van Buren Avenue. 

According to Geampa, one of the boys was attempting to give the victim CPR, another was calling the police and the others looked “distressed.” She elected not to approach in order to stay out of the way of first responders. Police arrived by 9:52 a.m. and first turned onto the wrong street, but were flagged down by one of the bystanders, she said.

“I am sorry to the family and friends of the victim,” Geampa said. “I hope the boys who were directly next to them are receiving support this time. After witnessing this event I made use of the emergency crisis appointments at OSU CAPS and received support. I hope the other students on campus who are affected as the news comes out know of the resources on campus as well.”

Geampa suggested reaching out to professors about accommodations while dealing with this situation and said her own professors have been supportive as she works on “de-stressing.” She also encouraged people to check in with each other, particularly students during finals week, and to keep up with self care.

“Love and support one another extra hard right now,” Geampa said. “With finals week around the corner, many are already…It’s important to ask uncomfortable questions because it may support someone who is suffering in silence.” 

Geampa also reminded students and community members that there is 24-hour, free support at the Benton County Crisis Center at 240 NW 4th Street, which is a walk-in service available to everyone, student or not. 

“OSU holds an annual Out of the Darkness Campus Walk to bring awareness and hope to those affected by suicide on April 20th,” Geampa said. “I will be there walking for (the victim) today and I encourage other students and community members to join me.”

Harvey said the case is being investigated but there is no further danger to the community. No further details will be released by CPD to respect the privacy of the family, and to allow the district attorney (who generally handles these kinds of cases) conducts their investigation.

If you or someone you know are struggling with mental health there are other resources available both on and off campus.

OSU’s Counseling and Psychological Services provides counseling and therapy as well as crisis care. More details regarding CAPS as well as other resource info can be found on their website.