Corvallis organizations continue to need support after holiday season

Jacob Fischer

A volunteer at the Corvallis Daytime Drop-in Center goes through foodstorage within the facility on Dec.28 Much of what the CDDC offers is contributed through donations.

Katie Livermore, News Reporter

As the holiday season comes to a close and the temperatures drop below freezing, leaving behind the spirit of giving may cause some to forget about community members in need of support. 

Corvallis is home to multiple organizations, shelters and centers that assist individuals in the community facing houselessness and poverty. 

The Corvallis Daytime Drop-in Center is one of these organizations that offers services to individuals in the community in need. 

According to Allison Hobgood, the executive director of the Corvallis Daytime Drop-in Center, the center is a day resource and hub for individuals in poverty. 

According to Hobgood, the Corvallis Daytime Drop-in Center gives a space for community and togetherness and helps individuals navigate next steps in their journeys by providing resources for affordable housing, hygiene products, food and more. 

Oftentimes, the center is even able to connect individuals in poverty with other agencies to support their specific needs.

“During the holiday season, people really want to be in the spirit of giving. However, there is always a need at the center year-round,” Hobgood said. 

According to Hobgood, ways to support the center include financial donations, donations in-kind and for individuals to remain in the spirit of giving all year round.

“The center offers people in poverty dignity in a world where they are marginalized,” Hobgood said. 

According to Hobgood, even talking to friends about houselessness and poverty helps bring attention and support to the issues in our community.

OSU students can help support the center by getting involved, calling to volunteer and take part in internships. 

Hobgood invites students to get involved at the center and has had students participate in activities at the center in the past.

According to Hobgood, the center loves students and the perspectives they bring.

Other shelters, organizations and nonprofits require support all year long, and there are multiple ways to help whether it’s giving time, donations or a helping hand.

Unity Shelter

Unity shelter is one of these shelters that assists unhoused individuals by providing housing for those in the community who don’t have a place to live.

The shelter is an umbrella organization that also covers the Men’s Shelter, Room at the Inn and SafePlace.

According to their website, Unity shelter welcomes volunteers at each of their three programs.

Both the Men’s Shelter and Room at the Inn depend on the generosity of their volunteers to help staff and serve our friends who need a helping hand. While serving others is personally fulfilling, Unity Shelter recognizes that its programs are stronger because of its volunteers,” Unity Shelter said.

Another way to support Unity Shelter is to make a financial contribution. Any donations are tax-deductible and go directly to operational needs of the shelter. Donations can be made online through their website, by check, stock, mutual funds or texting (844) 703-0862.

Right now, two anonymous donors are matching dollar for dollar up to $150,000 when donations are written for the Men’s Shelter. 

Jackson Street Youth Services

Another shelter in the Corvallis area, Jackson Street Youth Services aims to offer youth in the community a safe place to live with resources to work through crises and reach a stable future. 

According to their website, there are multiple ways to help the youth directly through volunteering as a mentor for one-on-one guidance, helping run peer support groups, leading youth activities, street outreach and academic coaching. 

Community members may also become ambassadors for Jackson Street Youth Services by advocating for the program and spreading awareness.

Their website has other Corvallis events and ways to support the organization like Bottle Drop, AmazonSmile or even FredMeyer rewards when you link Jackson Street Services to receive a percentage of purchases. 

Community Outreach Inc.

Community Outreach Inc. is an organization that delivers multiple services to individuals and families to help them live healthy and productive lives, moving from crisis to self-sufficiency through direct assistance. 

Like other nonprofit organizations, Community Outreach Inc. is in need of tax deductible donations that can be made through their website.  

The organization also has an ongoing wishlist on their website, featuring urgent needs like hygiene products, baby and children items, food, shelter supplies, cleaning supplies and more. 

Community members can also give their time by filling out a volunteer application online for the Medical and Dental Clinics, Mari’s Place Childcare Center, Social Service Assistants and more. 

South Corvallis Food Bank

Providing food for individuals on the South side of Corvallis, the South Corvallis Food Bank is another resource for community members in the Corvallis area. The bank currently distributes more than 15,000 pounds of food per month.

South Corvallis Food Bank has a list of items to be donated on their website  such as condiments, soups, personal care products, fresh produce from home gardens and more. Donations can be dropped off at the food bank during their open hours.

The bank also welcomes volunteers of ages 12 and up with COVID-19 vaccinations to host clients during hours of operation.

Although the holiday season is over, Corvallis organizations can still benefit from the spirit of giving year round.

“Unhoused people are right in our backyards, and we have the chance to support them,” Hobgood said.