Construction on Memorial Union will be completed later than expected

Morgan Berryman
Scaffolding on the Memorial Union at Oregon State University on Oct. 20. The scaffolding was being taken down on this day as construction was concluding.

Students and faculty alike may have noticed the scaffolding on the Memorial Union during Welcome Week and throughout the beginning of fall Term, and while much of the scaffolding has been taken down, construction is still happening.

The repairs being made to the roof and gutters of Oregon State University’s MU, which began in July, were intended to be completed by mid-September, but now is expected to be completed by mid-November. 

“Repair is occurring on parts of the original concrete gutters of the Memorial Union to eliminate leaks,” said Erin Martin, director of Web and Communication for DFA Information Technology. “Aging sections of the MU roof are being repaired or replaced to extend the lifespan of the existing roofing warranty.”

The project has been underway since early July, and was scheduled to end Sept. 18. However, the construction company Eagle Mountain ran into issues getting the proper materials. They are working with MU staff to make sure the impacts on MU activity are minimal. 

“We suspected that the timeline for the project was aggressive in predicting the end date before Fall Term,” said Deb Mott, director of the MU. “Day to day communication happens all day everyday to ensure the MU services to the community are not disrupted.”

The construction was given a budget of $3.9 million overall and is trending to be delivered on budget. Student fees provided the funds.

“The MU team is grateful to the campus students for their financial support of the student union,” Mott said. 

OSU departments involved with the construction planning were the Memorial Union, Student Affairs, Construction Contracts Administration, Capital Project Delivery, University Land Use Planning and Transportation Services.

“Many departments on campus contribute to construction and renovation projects on campus,” Martin said.

For example, the landscaping team asked that when construction occurs, the affected areas are given tree protection zones. This is done to protect the trees to prevent parking on root systems or cutting corners when moving equipment. This 

The MU is home to six dining stops, Grigg’s Center for Black and Indigenous Student Success, and the ASOSU International Lounge, as well as the on-campus bowling alley and an Amazon locker.

The building was built as a memorial for students, staff, and faculty who served during the Spanish-American War and World War I. It opened in 1928. 

The West Wing, also known as the MU Commons, opened in 1994 as the first food court on campus, and the east wing opened a year later.

This is the Memorial Union’s 95th year in existence.

For further construction updates, visit: https://mu.oregonstate.edu/construction