NROTC obstacle course will move to new location

El Guo
The obstacle course along SW Washington Way on Oregon State University campus on Feb. 19. The course is slated to be rebuilt on the east side of the Lorenz Soccer Field.

The Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps obstacle course will be rebuilt from scratch and moved to the east side of the Lorenz Soccer Field, with a construction date to be determined.

According to Erin Martin, director of communications at Oregon State University, the relocation of the course would make way to build the baseball hitting building on the south side of Goss Stadium.

There were two other places considered for the relocation. Rebekah Pike, communications specialist at OSU, states that this move was “based on space requirements” and its proximity was of convenience to the program.

This move also brings necessary upkeeping to something individuals in the program use often.

Midshipman 2nd Class Christopher Lasserre said that the relocation of the course will benefit the program as it is closer to where they conduct physical training, which is the Whyte Track and Field Center.

Photo courtesy of Oregon State University

Lasserre said that it will allow for “more dynamic physical training sessions for both normal members and our endurance team.”

As for the reconstruction, Lasserre said that it was definitely needed. He states that the old obstacle course had logs that were splitting, the iron was rusting, as well as bolts that were loose.

Both students and staff mention the benefit of this change. Lasserre states this will eliminate broken equipment and is a positive change for the program as the obstacle course is a “crucial element to the Marine Corps component” of the program and the upkeep of it is important to uphold standards.

Pike mentions the move does not bring any expected impacts to anyone accessing Lorenz Soccer Field or anyone not in the NROTC program, and will bring “new fencing and lighting.”