ISA presents India Night to celebrate culture

Rida Kauser

Indian culture will be showcased at India Night 2024, presented by the Indian Student Association, will be held at the LaSells Stewart Center on Saturday, April 20.

Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with the event commencing at 5 p.m.

“The whole point of India Night is really to bring India to Corvallis, to show people what India is, to show them the culture, the people, the food, the music, the dance,” said ISA Co-President Kushi Gupta, a fourth-year Bio Health Science major.

This year’s event, themed around celebrating India’s diverse talents, features performances ranging from classical dance forms like Bharatanatyam and Kathak to the energetic rhythms of Bollywood.

“It’s all about supporting small businesses and really supporting India and showcasing everything that India has to offer that we can’t normally see in the community that we live in,” said Gupta.

The selection process for performers was rigorous, according to Gupta, ensuring a showcase of talent that represents the breadth and depth of Indian culture. Gupta explained that they’re trying to get cultures from all over so that attendees can experience a range of performances as well.

“As soon as you enter, you’re going to feel like you’re in India,” Gupta said. “The music is going to start playing, you’re going to see all these people, you’re going to smell good food.”

India Night contains not only a visual and auditory feast but also a culinary journey featuring authentic Indian dishes prepared by a local Indian family-owned restaurant.

“We’re just trying to be as inclusive as possible and also just showcase the amazing flavors that India has to offer as well,” Gupta said.

Attendees can expect interactive elements, surprises and a sense of community throughout the event.

“I think more than just a showcase, it’s also a way to create a community that we’re not able to find otherwise,” Gupta said.

India Night aims to leave a lasting impact, fostering cultural appreciation and understanding among attendees.

“I just hope that everyone is able to enjoy themselves, learn a little bit more about Indian culture and just appreciate everything it has to offer,” Gupta said.