Safety tips for Halloween

Noah Nelson, News Contributor

Halloween weekend in Corvallis presents students with the opportunity to take a break from their studies, unwind, and celebrate the holiday. This weekend traditionally sees an increase in many types of unsafe behavior.

The fraternity and sorority community on campus, which hosts many different Halloween parties, has taken precaution to keep its members, and anyone who attends the parties, safe. Chaz Roselli is the vice president of programming within Sigma Phi Epsilon, a local fraternity. According to Roselli, he is in charge of planning and executing all social events the fraternity puts on, including the Halloween weekend celebrations. 

“For whatever reason, Halloween weekend at Oregon State is seen as an opportunity for absolute mayhem,” Roselli said. “It is a real concern when people from out of town who have no respect for the community come and cause problems.”

The way fraternities deal with the issue of reckless partiers coming from out of town is to have a guest list for their parties, according to Roselli.

“The new rules state that we cannot serve alcohol at any function, and we cannot allow anyone in who is not on a guest list. This definitely limits the risk of people we don’t know and don’t trust causing issues at our events,” Roselli said.

However, being at a party still presents dangers. According to Amy Frasieur, the interim director of the Prevention and Wellness department of Student Health Services, there are ways to celebrate this weekend responsibly.

Pace yourself. Consider having only one drink per hour. Stay hydrated. Consider alternating alcoholic drinks with water or another non-alcoholic beverage. Set a limit for yourself on how much you will drink and stick to it, according to Frasieur.

Frasieur also said that it is best to refrain from participating in drinking games or drinking from communal bowls, like jungle juice, as these are good ways to accidentally drink too much, or get sick. 

According to Nikia Braxton, the alcohol and drug prevention specialist at the Student Health Services, it is very important to remember that calling the police is a viable option if you believe you or a friend has alcohol poisoning.

“Know the signs of alcohol poisoning and what to do,” Braxton said. 

The symptoms of alcohol poisoning include shallow or irregular breathing, unresponsiveness and unconsciousness, cold/clammy skin, pale or bluish coloring, vomiting and mental confusion.

If you think someone has signs of alcohol poisoning, call 911 right away. Roll the person on their side and stay with them until help arrives. Do not give them any food or water (this could make them choke) and do not make them get up or walk (as they could get injured), according to Braxton.

Oregon has the Medical Amnesty Law, which protects those who seek medical assistance for themselves or someone else because of alcohol poisoning from receiving a Minor in Possession. If an individual is experiencing alcohol poisoning, calling the police to help would not result in an MIP for the caller.

To avoid alcohol poisoning, people should not be drinking with anyone who pressures or coerces them into consuming more alcohol than they want to, according to Frasieur.

Another general rule that can keep individuals safe is the buddy system, according to Roselli.

“Definitely have a base of friends who know what your plans are and will keep an eye on each other,” Roselli said. “That is for sure the number one thing.”

According to Braxton, “If you choose to drink, drink responsibly and with people you know. Also, there are a number of alcohol-free Halloween Spooktacular Events on campus.”