Best of: Cheap Eats

Local Boyz is located in Cobblestone Square at 1425 NW Monroe Ave.

Erick Durano, Practicum Contributor

Local Boyz

Local Boyz, a popular Hawaiian food staple located in Cobblestone Square, a building on the corner of 14th and Monroe, has been famous among students for their hearty and delicious island style meals.

According to Kim Marchesi, co-owner of Local Boyz, her and her husband Roy started the business when Roy woke up one night from a dream wherein he had owned his own Hawaiian Café. Roy Marchesi was born and raised in Honolulu, where he grew up surrounded by Hawaiian delicacies. Kim and Roy Marchesi promptly opened up shop in 1993, in the same location as they’re in now, amidst a snowstorm, having had to close early because they ran out of food to feed demand.

After that fateful snowstorm, Local Boyz started growing into a well-known spot in the Oregon State community. They became so big, in fact, that they had to tear down a wall to expand their services from take-out to having dine-in options as well, according to Kim Marchesi. 

“There was a juice bar over in that area around 1999, and they went out of business. The landlord offered the space to us and we went from 14 seats to about 35 afterwards!” Kim Marchesi said.

The Marchesi’s have recently taken a step back and allowed their son, Rocco Marchesi, to take over for main operations. According to Local Boyz’ website, they are open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturdays from noon to 7 p.m.

“Our sweet shoyu chicken is definitely one of our fan favorites, then the next two would have to be our Hawaiian style steak, and our ribs!” Kim Marchesi said.