May the Fourth be with you

May the Fourth be with you

Madeleine Smith, Multimedia Contributor

Lucas Paris knows his Star Wars.

He would spend hours playing Star Wars trivia with his brother until they couldn’t play anymore because they had memorized all of the answers.

“Anybody who knows me knows that I’m, like, really deeply connected to Star Wars,” said Paris, a sophomore studying digital communication arts.

The fourth of May is Star Wars Day. The date was chosen for the wordplay on the common Star Wars saying “May the force be with you,” adapted to “May the Fourth be with you.”

The recent release of the New Star Wars Trailer for the movie “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” gives the holiday a special significance this year. Many students who grew up watching the classic Star Wars films are ecstatic at the opportunity to be part of the newest wave of Star Wars.

With the release of the new Star Wars movies, Paris sees the movies becoming more mainstream.

“It’s really accessible for everybody to kind of connect over,” Paris said.  “Where people who know everything about Star Wars can talk to people who know a little bit about Star Wars.”

Paris finds the holiday of Star Wars Day interesting because he usually associates holidays with religion. However, he still plans to break out one of his Star Wars T-shirts for the occasion.

Cailin Moore, a freshman at OSU, was excited about the release of the new trailer. To her the trailer raises a lot of questions, and she looks forward to seeing which aspects of the universe this new film will explore. She reflected on the influence of Star Wars.

“I think it is remarkable, the impact that Star Wars has had as a franchise in our nation,” said Moore. She sees Star Wars day as a “good excuse for everyone to be excited about Star Wars.”

Besides the buzz around campus about the new trailer, McNary Dining Center is in the holiday spirit as well, with meals inspired by themes and characters from Star Wars.

In the evening, there will be a number of events for students to participate in. There will be a trivia game for all of the most knowledgeable fans, and contests for the best costume and the best Chewbacca impression. There will also be crafts and photo ops.

Griffin Thenell, a freshman who lives in Callahan, right next to McNary, is interested in the event. He explained how usually he doesn’t go to events thrown by the dorm or dining halls.

“Most of the events are kind of boring, but Star Wars appeals,” Thenell said.

Usually, if he’s not too busy with school, he would watch one of the movies with some friends. The Return of the Jedi, episode V, is his favorite.

Whether you wear a Star Wars costume, or show off some Star Wars trivia, May the Fourth be with you this week.