OSU’s Capital Forecast gives glimpse of ten-year future

Brittnee Barry
A photograph of Cordley Hall in 2017.

Oregon State University is begotten by scaffolding, evidence of the constant repairs and improvements made to the campus over the years.

Many of these projects fall into the category of Capital Improvements and Renewal projects, overseen by OSU Capital Planning.

This plan, called the Capital Forecast, is a 10-year plan that is revisited each year to ensure the campus is getting the repairs and improvements that it needs.

According to the University Facilities, Infrastructure and Operations, the forecast helps with the short-term and long-range planning for investment in buildings, landscapes and other infrastructure, and is drafted by the Infrastructure Working Group and the staff of Capital Planning and Development.

Of course, not every building can be worked on at the same time. To determine priority, the IWF evaluates all potential projects on four criteria.

The first criteria is if the project will advance OSU’s strategic plan to pursue preeminence in research, accessibility of education, significance in Oregon and to cultivate a culture of belonging, collaboration and innovation.

According to John Gremmels, capital planner of University Facilities, Cordley Hall needed new research equipment, having not been updated since the 1960s. This project would fit under the first criteria, as updated equipment would make it easier to pursue research.

Besides the advancement of OSU’s strategic plan, projects must also minimize the impact on environmental and financial resources: If there is a building that is used constantly, and it would be cheaper and simpler to renovate over the summer when there are fewer students around to use the building, then it will be done after other buildings that would cost less to renovate at that specific time.

Third, IWF and CPD look for projects that will help cultivate a safer, more equitable, accessible and welcoming environment at OSU, according to a document provided by UFIO.

The final criteria is whether or not funding can be gained for the project. If it will cost OSU less money, then it is more likely to happen sooner, according to UFIO.

According to the UFIO Project Management Manual, all capital construction, major renovation or projects that require either OSU revenue or state bond funding of at least $5 million must be included in the 10-year Capital Forecast.

The 2022-2023 forecast included renovations to the previously mentioned Cordley Hall, estimated at $172 million, and renovations to the roofs of the Valley Library, Milam Hall, and LaSells Stewart Center, estimated at $6.75 million, $5.3 million and $8.8 million, respectively.

According to Gremmels, the funding for CIR projects comes from $39 million of funding from the State of Oregon per biennium, with funds complemented and supplemented by OSU.