Student on the Street: What stresses OSU students out and what helps them?

Rachel Dumas stops to talk about what stresses her out near the Memorial Union on campus on April 6, 2024
Maya Kirschenbaum

The life of a college student frequently involves stress from a variety of sources. We asked Oregon State University students what stresses them, and what they do to handle it.

Rachel Dumas stops to talk about what stresses her out near the Memorial Union on campus on April 6, 2024. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

Rachel Dumas, second-year student:

“(I stress) about passing my classes and maybe like getting good grades on a test, and also just kind of genuinely like social wise and just like worrying about what people think of me … (I deal with my stressors) in a multitude of ways. Sometimes I like to talk it over with friends or I try working out, or doing something that I like, like listening to music, watching a comfort TV show or something like that.”

Gavin Cox discusses his thoughts on stress and what he does to cope with it in his life in the MU quad on campus on April 6, 2024. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

Gavin Cox, a first-year student studying mechanical engineering:

“What stresses me out? When I don’t take enough classes because then I feel like I’m not going to graduate on time. And then you take too much … (To help,) I go to a tutor and I feel like that really helps me out. Especially with math, that’s my killer.”

Adam Danielson stops in a quick interview on what stresses him out and how he manages it in the MU quad on campus on April 6, 2024. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

Adam Danielson, a second-year student studying computer science:

“(I get stressed) by lots of homework … (To help,) I like to spend time with friends and just chill out. Usually just stay calm. My first year I stayed at the dorms (but) I have an apartment now and my roommates (help).”

Second year student Lindsey Hanna talks about how she finds way to cope with stress in an interview outside the library quad on April 15, 2024 (Maya Kirschenbaum)

Lindsey Hanna, second-year student studying biology:

“Life (stresses me out). I feel like just the unknown decisions career wise or just things you have to decide on daily (is stressful). (To help,) really I just like to sit in it and I’m like ‘Hey, I just have to do it’ because when I get stressed out with assignments, (I think) you just have to get through it sometimes. Being outside definitely helps and spring term is definitely easier than winter term.”

Austin Redding talks about the difficulties of stress in life and what he does to cope with it on SW 26th St between the MU and LInC on April 6, 2024.

Austin Redding, third-year student studying botany.

“Unknown things, or things that put a lot of tasks on my plate. Things that seem really big and overwhelming. (To help, I) mostly like focusing on things that I enjoy outside of whatever’s giving me stress. I mean, a lot of times, things that you enjoy can give you stress too. But, to find comfort outside of that and things that you like doing or things that interest you or things that will better yourself in some way like exercising or eating better or things like that.”

Freshman Zerian Thielen stops to talk in a short interview on what stresses him out outside the campus library on April 15, 2024.

Zarian Thielen, first-year student studying digital communication arts and music.

“Not much actually, I’m actually a pretty chill dude. In fact, I actually took a stress test back in ninth grade and I got a zero on it. (But,) usually something I like to do is maybe watch cartoons, listen to some music, maybe even go to the gym every once in a while.”

On April 15, 2024, outside the SEC plaza, Sophia Annus, a fourth year student, talks about how the different aspects in her life stress her out. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

Sophia Annus, fourth-year student studying public policy:

“School and relationships (stress me out and to help) I go to therapy. I go on walks with my dog. TV. Cooking. I really like to cook. That’s what I do.”

Penelope White talks in an interview on campus about what she finds stressful and how she copes with it on April 15, 2024. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

Penelope White, second-year student studying studio art:

“Lots of people (stress me out and) just being in crowds of people. That’s why I’ve been hesitant about going to like parties and stuff (because) it’s usually in smaller spaces. Usually (to help,) I just try to be with people I know. If I don’t really know anyone, I’m just going to leave.”

Second-year student Nicholas Adames talks about the major stresses in his life and what he does to manage them on April 15, 2024 outside the library quad. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

Nicholas Adames, second-year student studying biology on the pre-vet track.

“My fraternity (stresses me out). I took up recruitment chair my first year and then my second year I became social chair. So yeah, it’s been a lot of work setting up events. (To help,) my fraternity has a lot of different educational things that help keep me accountable to what I’m doing. They keep me on track with my GPA and make sure that I’m not just doing social (chair) stuff.”

Kiana Langeliers discusses what she finds stressful outside the library quad on April 15, 2024. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

Kiana Langeliers, fourth-year student studying biology.

“Workload and lots of homework, it’s pretty stressful. Just a lot of homework and stuff honestly. (To help,) I work out and I take time off and read. You know, more creative stuff when I can, like drawing and ceramics.”