‘Considerable’ evidence exists in bias crime case, next court appearance in April

General Crime Graphic

Sukhjot Sal, News Reporter

Suspects involved in an alleged bias assault on a Corvallis, Ore. 7-Eleven employee in October appeared for a remote status check at Benton County Circuit Court on March 8 at 8:30 a.m.

Defendants Dylan Guido, Kyle Rackley and Riley Westbrooks will next appear in court on April 19, again on Judge Locke Williams’ docket.

In the alleged assault, the three suspects reportedly used homophobic and transphobic slurs against an employee at the 7-Eleven on 746 NW Kings Blvd. and were arrested by the CPD on Nov. 4 and arraigned on Nov. 5. 

Guido and Westbrooks were both arrested on one charge of bias crime in the first degree and assault in the third degree, while Rackley was arrested on one charge of assault in the third degree. Steve Clark, Oregon State University’s vice president of University Relations and Marketing, confirmed in November that Guido was an OSU student until May 2020.

The three suspects previously appeared in court on Dec. 9 and Feb. 8 for status checks.

Gillian Wickersham, the attorney representing Dylan Guido, requested the change from preliminary hearing to status check because they are still waiting for discovery—or the formal exchange of evidence between all parties—and/or an official indictment.

Jayme Kimberly, a prosecutor from the Oregon Department of Justice, said they do not have an indictment yet.

“I’ve been working with the Corvallis Police Department and Benton County District Attorney’s office to get the remaining discovery,” Kimberly said. “I think we have that all identified… I believe we will have the remaining discovery this week to get out to everyone, so I think we are on track now.”

Matthew Watkins, the attorney representing Kyle Rackley, said there is “considerable discovery.”

In the time leading up to April 19, all parties involved will have the opportunity to review evidence.