Over 1,800 students registered to vote since Sept. 16

ASOSU senators convene at the 78th ASOSU Senate, held on Tuesday in the Memorial Union room 109.

Delaney Shea, News Editor

During the Associated Students of Oregon State University Senate meeting on Tuesday, it was announced that over 1,800 students have been registered to vote through a joint effort between the student government and the Oregon Student Association since Sept. 16.

OSA is an statewide non-profit that advocates for college students and is funded by student governments around Oregon.

OSA Field Organizer Emily Pfeiffer attributed the success of this campaign to ASOSU’s staff contributing three hours each to the campaign, and leaders creating a Powerpoint to be used in presentations for students that aims to help explain and clarify the registration process.

“This has been the most successful vote campaign I have been part of at (Oregon State University),” Pfeiffer said.

According to Pfeiffer, registering thousands of students creates greater lobbying power because the combined students’ opinions become more consequential to Oregon state legislators.

The Senate did not linger long on this success, however, as there were other pressing items on the agenda.

Changes to the ASOSU statutes, made by last year’s congressional body, were passed. The statutes are similar to the constitution, however statute changes may be made internally as opposed to putting it to a student body vote.

Senators Logan Adams, Dylan Perfect and Dylan Young were nominated for president pro tempore, a position which presides over the Senate in the absence of the ASOSU vice president.

Toward the end of the meeting, the Senate discussed the importance of having town halls. Town halls allow students the chance to meet ASOSU student leaders and ask questions about issues of concern, as well as discuss salient topics.

According to Tariku, he and ASOSU President Justin Bennett ran on four main pillars, with the fourth being transparency and accountability, and town halls would further these goals.

“In order for our administration to be as transparent as possible, I think we must host town halls,” Tariku said via email. “This will allow the student body to learn what ASOSU is working on, and for students to give our organization feedback.”

The ASOSU Senate is set to reconvene next Tuesday, Oct. 2 in Memorial Union room 109.