Beaver softball walks it off to secure home opening win

Oregon State softball player Ellie Garcia pitches in a game against the University of Arizona at Kelly field on Friday. This was the first game of two that OSU hosted against UA and they won 3-2.
Fern Barber

Bases loaded, bottom of the eighth inning, University of Arizona pitcher Miranda Stoddard throws a wild pitch to Madison Simon of Oregon State University, advancing the runners to second and third.

Up comes the junior from Oxnard, California, Kiki Escobar, to put down an infield single to extend their win streak to six games and lock in the first home game win of the season.

This win marked OSU’s 12th win of the season and was a good start to today’s doubleheader at Kelly Field.

While it may have looked like the Beavers needed to come from behind to win this game, they actually took an early lead in the bottom of the second inning. The Beavers can thank their defense for keeping the game so close.

Sarah Haendiges, starting pitcher for OSU, pitched three perfect innings against the 24-ranked Wildcats. She struck out two-time PAC-12 freshman of the week, Regan Shockey, to start the game.

Shortstop Savannah Whatley flashed her leather with an inning-ending diving catch behind third base to end the inning, setting the tempo for a defensive showdown.

The starter for the Wildcats, Aissa Silva, retired the side soundly in the first inning, recording two strikeouts.

However, when the younger sister of senior Abby Doerr, Paige Doerr, stepped up to the plate at the bottom of the second inning, she struck fear into the Wildcats.

Paige smacked the ball well over the right fielder’s head, recording her first career home run and taking the lead 1-0.

In her senior season in high school, Doerr had a batting average of .590 with eight home runs; however, the transition from high school to college softball is not a problem for the freshman.

Haendiges keeps the Arizona bats silent through four innings, allowing her offense a chance to extend their lead.

OSU’s home run leader, Lici Campbell (5), takes her shot at the long ball and sends the ball deep center field to further their lead to 2-0.

Campbell’s home run added fuel to the fire with a follow-up opposite-field triple down the right-field line from Grace Messmer. Another walk led to runners at the corners with Simon up to bat.

Simon laid down a perfect sacrifice bunt to score Messmer from third making the score 3-0.

Coach Caitlin Lowe from Arizona called for the play to be under review, claiming Messmer left before the pitch, which would mean her run is ineligible. The call was overturned, and Messmer was called out. The score went back to 2-0.

Going into the sixth inning, Haendiges, who leads the Beavers in strikeouts (37), pitched an impressive five innings with no runs allowed.

Unfortunately, a dribbler to first by Shockey led to an error and a single from Dakota Kennedy to put runners on first and second.

The right-handed pitcher, Ellie Garcia, came in with two runners on and no outs, retiring the first batter she faced and walking the second with bases loaded. The nerves settled in, but Garcia got the job done leaving three runners stranded, Beavers still up 2-0.

In the bottom of the sixth, the Beavers look to extend their lead, facing off against Ali Blanchard, who has a 1.35 ERA to start the season.

Messmer starts the inning off with a bloop single to right. Doerr puts down a bunt single to advance the runners.

Arizona’s defense got to work, turning a 4-6-5 double play and leaving two runners stranded to end the inning.

Garcia looked to close the game and started strong, retiring Allie Skaggs on a fly ball to shallow right field.

Unfortunately for the Beavers, Emily Schlepp hit a sharp line drive to left field that was fielded well by Paige Doerr, keeping Schelpp’s double to single.

Schlepp’s hit allowed the Wildcats to catch momentum. Shockey placed a bunt to advance the runner. Garcia then walked Dakota Kennedy to make it bases-loaded with two outs.

The number three hitter, Carlie Scupin, hit a single to right to tie the game in the top of the seventh inning.

Arizona’s starting pitcher made her way back into the game in an attempt to hold the Beavers. Silva retired two of the three batters she faced until she was replaced again by Miranda Stoddard.

Stoddard allows a hit to Eliana Gottlieb, putting the Beavers in scoring position, but they fall just short.

The eighth inning was nothing but a battle. Garcia stayed in the game, giving up a single and a sac bunt, putting a runner in scoring position. But with runners on first and second, Garcia faced Taylor Biehl in a seven-pitch battle, ending in a huge strikeout to end the inning.

Final score, 3-2 Beavers.