How non-native English speakers can get involved on campus

The INTO building at OSU.
The INTO building at OSU.
Morgan Berryman

Starting school is stressful, especially when you’re not accustomed to American culture and the English language; however, Oregon State University has many resources to ease your way into college life.

INTO OSU is a program founded in 2008. According to their website, they provide academic preparation, English language training, admissions, recruiting and student services for students who come from other countries.

Ekaterina Dunovskaia, an international student from Russia currently getting a masters degree in business, came to OSU as a freshman majoring in graphic design and took advantage of the INTO program.

Dunovskaia said there was an orientation week for new international students that included events such as a document check, as well as events that allowed her to meet friends, such as bingo and a resource fair.

It was also the time where I met some of the Corvallis community members that were volunteers during the orientation week – they helped me to get to know the town and American culture a lot during (my) first year,” Dunovskaia said.

Alina Hyk, a psychology major and international student from Kyiv, Ukraine, also agreed that orientation week is a great opportunity to connect. Hyk says it includes various engaging activities and provides plenty of information on clubs and organizations that students can get involved in.

With this new knowledge, Dunovskaia and her friends created the Russian Speaking Student Association, which is now called Turkic Caucasian Slavic Association, and Hyk is president of Psi Chi Honor Society and serves as an officer at Psyched Out.

“Our goal was to create a space for people that speak the same language, or want to learn about our cultures,” Dunovskaia said.

Like Dunovskaia and Hyk, there are many other students who come into Corvallis needing resources and to get accustomed to culture.

The Office of International Services is another place to go when in need of resources or to find where on campus to get involved.

Grace Atebe, executive director at the Office of International Services, said the office provides peer support groups such as Global Buddies Program and International Friendship Program.

These provide opportunities for students to build community with their peers at OSU and more broadly within the community as students adjust to their new home away from home,” Atebe said.

The services provided on campus have left students like Hyk feeling good in their time at OSU, regardless of being a non-native English speaker and international student.

“As I near my graduation date, I cannot help but reflect fondly on my time here. As a student, I have not only found support for myself as an international student but I also had access to research opportunities and mentorship to further develop my academic interests,” Hyk said.