Oregon State Beavers wipe Linfield Wildcats by 36-points in their season home opener

Sophomore forward Tyler Bilodeau goes in for the dunk contributing to his 11 points in the game.
Lily Middleton

The Oregon State University Men’s Basketball team showed strong defense and coordination when facing off against the Linfield University team Monday night in Gill Coliseum. Despite the deficit, Linfield made sure not to lay up on the intensity of their game against OSU.

“The big thing was to really put our imprint on things with our [team] discipline and defensive intensity and then offensive execution,” said head coach Wayne Tinkle when reflecting on what Oregon State was really trying to get out of this first game of the season.

Freshman guard DaJohn Craig made his college debut in today’s game. Putting up nine out of the 82 points that the team would finish out the game with. Craig made four out of the seven field goals attempted during the game as well as a successful three-point fast break jump shot at the 8:47 mark of the first half.

“Being here in Gill Coliseum is amazing, just being coached by coach Wayne Tinkle and having these amazing teammates around and the fans, it was just an amazing experience that I can’t wait to continue,” Craig said.

When asked about his thoughts on his performance during his debut game this afternoon, Craig stated, “I think I played pretty mediocre, I feel I could’ve been better defensively and could’ve made sure to hit a couple [of] threes especially… but I’ll definitely get better in my rotations and get it right [by] Friday.”

The nine points put up by Craig this afternoon stand next to the 11 total points put up by sophomore forward Tyler Bilodeau and the equal 11 points total put up by senior guard Dexter Akanno.

However, sophomore guard Jordan Pope came into a league of his own this afternoon totaling 16 points on the court with none of the athletes on Linfield’s team scratching the double digits.

“We think our depth is going to be a real key,”  said head coach Wayne Tinkle when asked what it means to the team making 30 plus points off the bench this afternoon.

Up next the Beavers will face the Troy Trojans at home in Gill Coliseum with tip-off at 4:00 p.m.