Tea shop chain to bring location to MU

Maya Kirschenbaum
A sign for Happy Lemon, a new restaurant in the MU, on Nov 1, 2023 at OSU. Happy Lemon will be where the restaurant Togo’s was once located.

Tea shop chain Happy Lemon is opening a new franchise location after spring break in the Memorial Union Commons to bring Oregon State University students tea and pastries.

While it may not be a household name here in Corvallis, Happy Lemon is well-known across the globe.

Founded in 2006 by Taiwanese tea culture company, Yummy-Town Group, Happy Lemon, according to their website, is “the world’s most recognized and respected tea culture brand with more than 350 locations in 21 countries.” This includes over 100 stores in the United States alone.

Talking about why Happy Lemon chose Corvallis for their new location, franchise owner Tao Huang, who also owns all three of Happy Lemon’s Portland locations, said that the company has “not a lot (of competition) in the Corvallis market.”

According to their website, Happy Lemon “(strives) to serve high premium quality and fresh teas to our customers all around the world,” and say that all their drinks are brewed on site.

Happy Lemon is also quite the innovator in tea culture, having invented Rock Salt Cheese Tea.

“It’s similar to the crema option that you can get at Starbucks,” Huang said. “Because it sits on top of your drink, so it’s a foam cheese layer.”

In addition to Rock Salt Cheese Tea, Happy Lemon also serves an assortment of boba flavors, milk teas, fresh lemon teas, slushies, smoothies and bubble waffles for those looking for a crunchy accoutrement.

For those readers who would like more information about Happy Lemon and what they offer, check out their website.