OSU and WSU announce affiliate membership with WCC

Freshman guard Dominika Paruovà in Oregon State Beavers win over Weber State in a home game at Gill Coliseum on Nov 29, 2023
Maya Kirschenbaum

Oregon State University and Washington State University announced in a statement last Friday that they would be affiliate members of the West Coast Conference for the next two years.

OSU and Washington State will compete in 12 West Coast Conference sports with the other member schools in the conference beginning in the 2024-2025 academic year.

The schools that both OSU and WSU will compete against in the WCC include Gonzaga University, University of the Pacific, University of Portland, University of San Francisco, University of San Diego, Santa Clara University, Pepperdine University, and Loyola Marymount University.

The two schools will be part of the West Coast Conference for men’s and women’s basketball, women’s soccer, volleyball, men’s and women’s golf, women’s cross country, and women’s rowing.

Oregon State will also compete in the West Coast Conference in men’s soccer and softball, while Washington State will compete in the West Coast Conference in women’s tennis and men’s cross country.

Both schools will also be eligible for West Coast Conference postseason championships and the league’s automatic berths to the NCAA championships as well as being a part of the conference’s media rights agreements.

“This affiliation agreement provides short-term clarity for 10 of our programs and guarantees that our student-athletes and coaches can continue to compete for conference and national championships,” said Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Barnes.

“We appreciate Commissioner Stu Jackson and the WCC for their partnership. This agreement represents an important step in our strategy to preserve options for the future viability of the Pac-12 conference. Our highest priority continues to be the success of all OSU student-athletes, starting with their ability to compete – and win — at the highest level possible.”

Schedules for all these teams will be announced later with conference matchups in the West Coast Conference.

The sports that will not be in the West Coast Conference for Oregon State are gymnastics, indoor and outdoor track & field, and men’s rowing will compete as members of the PAC-12.

Conference affiliation for Oregon State baseball is currently undecided at this time.

This scheduling agreement comes after both schools Oregon State and Washington State football team’s announced a scheduling agreement with the Mountain West Conference earlier this month.

OSU and WSU play six games against Mountain West Conference opponents. Still, they do not factor into the conference standings and both schools are ineligible to play in the Mountain West Conference championship game.