OSU clubs bring inclusivity to agriculture

Contributed by Students For Cultivating Change
Left; Calhoun Lark, right; Michael Sonza. Photo is from the 2023 Cultivating Change Foundation’s summit at the USDA’s headquarters in Washington DC.

Two clubs in Oregon State University’s College of Agricultural Science are working to help underrepresented students find community and careers in agriculture.

Students for Cultivating Change is a club for LGBTQ+ students within the college. The club wants to help students develop career skills, network and build a community with their fellow peers.

“Our club is unique because it is a student chapter of the Cultivating Change Foundation which is a group that aims to make agriculture a better place for LGBTQ+ folks,” said Calhoun Lark, the current student president of Students for Cultivating Change. “One of the opportunities that our club gains from this is the ability to attend their annual national summit which I attended this year!”

Lark said that the summit was a great learning experience, as well as a good opportunity to meet people with similar identities and career paths.

As president of the club, Lark plans events and approves budgets. He also reaches out to people to give talks or workshops and works with two other officers to help run the club.

Lark said that the club tries to host three events a term, and they are going to try to hold more regular club meetings in the future. The club has also attained a community garden plot they hope to use more once the weather improves.

“We are looking for more folks for our club team since one of the big things holding us back from more frequent events is how small our team is,” Lark said.

Lark said that anyone interested in joining the club, or anyone who has questions about the

club can email [email protected]. More information can also be found on their website.

Another club that is sponsored by the College of Agricultural Sciences is Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences. This club provides networking opportunities, career development events and educational resources for underrepresented students in agriculture and natural resources fields.

“MANRRS is unique in its focus on promoting diversity and inclusion within agriculture, natural resources and related sciences,” said Elizabeth Lopez, the student president of MANRRS. “We provide a platform for students from underrepresented backgrounds to connect, collaborate and thrive in their academic and professional pursuits.”

Within her role of president, Lopez serves as the public face of the club. She provides leadership and coordinates club activities and events. Lopez said she works to offer an environment for club members that is positive and inclusive.

Students interested in the club can attend meetings, and participate in club activities. Lopez said there are opportunities for students to gain leadership roles and be on committees within the club.

“Students need to know that MANRRS offers a supportive community and valuable resources to help them navigate their academic and professional journeys,” Lopez said.

For more information about MANRRS, visit their website.