Pacific Islander Association hosts second annual Pasifika Fest cultural night

Rida Kauser

Oregon State University’s Pacific Islander Association will host their second annual cultural night on May 11 at 2 p.m. at the Memorial Union Quad, featuring performances, cuisine and community connections.

The cultural night serves as a platform for Pacific Islander students to showcase their rich cultural heritage through various forms of expression, including performing arts, literature, poetry, music, dance and culinary delights.

“I think the second event really was a continuation of the success of the first event, which was a really moving and I think it’s a foundational event and moment for the Pacific Islander Association and for those that are associated with,” said Patricia Fifita, assistant professor of Indigenous studies and one of the event’s organizers. “It was important for them to be able to feel that they had a platform and that they could create a space where they could celebrate their identities.”

Fifita mentioned that the Pasifika Fest is an event that offers students diverse opportunities to immerse themselves in cultural practices such as dance, along with showcasing singing, poetry and cultural displays.

“Performing arts, literature, oratory and music has always been important cultural practice for all Pacific Islanders. But I think that having this opportunity to showcase the different types of creative expression through performing arts, literature and music is a wonderful way to celebrate diversity,” Fifita said.

The event has a lineup of diverse performances representing various Pacific Island cultures, including Fiji, Tuvalu, Tonga, the Marianas, Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. Fifita mentioned that attendees can expect to witness traditional dances, songs and even a kava ceremony, providing a unique glimpse into the cultural tapestry of the Pacific Islands.

In addition to the cultural showcase, the Cultural Night will also feature food trucks offering island delicacies such as plate lunches, shaved ice, musubi and guava cake. Food vendors including Island Nectar Shave Ice, Grindz Food Truck, Keke by Saia, Kingdom’s Kava and Kama’a Corner.

Community resources will also be available from Living Islands, Kalo Hawaiian Civic Club, and Nike Pacific Islander Network. Additionally, the event will feature drag performer Puanani Possé, a Kanaka Maoli/Native Hawaiian OSU alumni from Maui.

Attendees will also have the opportunity to connect with community and student organizations supporting Pacific Islander students through resource tables and informational sessions.

Fifita mentioned that witnessing these creative performances could increase awareness of the presence of Pacific Islanders and their ongoing cultural practices.

“Through that, I hope it raises awareness and a deeper appreciation for the people and their histories,” Fifita said.