No. 2 Oregon State Baseball sweeps Washington State

Oregon State junior catcher Adley Rutschman takes a swing at a pitch from a Washington State pitcher. Rutschman currently has 14 home runs this season, overcoming his 2018 tally of nine. 

Lillian Nomie, Sports Contributor

Oregon State Baseball defeated Washington State on Sunday afternoon with a score of 2-0 at Goss Stadium, sweeping the Cougars in a three-game series this weekend, 3-0.

This win puts the Beavers Pac-12 record at 17-4-0 and their overall record at 31-10-1.

Over the weekend, two attendance records were broken at Goss Stadium. On Sunday afternoon, the attendance reached 3,968 people, setting the new record for the number of attendees for a regular season game. Over the three game series against Washington State, 11,720 people made an appearance, breaking the record for series attendance.

According to OSU Interim Head Coach Pat Bailey, junior right-handed pitcher Grant Gambrell had a slow start, but ended up having great pitching game overall.  

“I think that’s the best pitching game we’ve had all year long. I thought he was absolutely lights out,” Bailey said. “He struggled at little in the beginning, but after that he was outstanding.”

Gambrell pitched a career-high eight innings and tied his season-best with 12 strikeouts in the game.

“For the first couple innings, I struggled with my fastball command, but after that I put a little pressure on myself and I figured it out towards the end,” Gambrell said.  

Sophomore catcher Troy Claunch said prior to the game, he told Gambrell if he pitches like the team knows he’s capable of, he would have a great game. Claunch added that Gambrell’s confidence also plays a big roll in how he performs.

“We all know that Grant’s got electric stuff and he’s a big power guy. When he has the confidence and believes what he can do, it shows like it did today,” Claunch said.  

Claunch hit a double during the bottom of the fourth, setting up junior infielder Tyler Malone to score the first run. In the sixth inning, junior infielder Andy Armstrong hit an RBI, allowing Claunch to score the second run for the Beavers.

“I was happy to put myself in a position where the guys behind me could score. It was a great team win,”  Claunch said.

Prior to the game, coach Bailey said he told the team it was important that they show up and play their best no matter what Washington State’s ranking is. Bailey added that it is important to respect the opponents because every team in the Pac-12 is competitive.

“We try to play not against our opponent, but we try to play the way we are capable of playing,” Bailey said.

The game ended after sophomore left-handed pitcher Christian Chamberlain threw the Beavers 13th strike out of the game.

Oregon State Baseball will be back at Goss Stadium on Tuesday, April 30, at 5:35 p.m. to take on the Gonzaga Bulldogs.