Oregon State Baseball mauled by Gonzaga Bulldogs

Baseball vs. Gonzaga

Lillian Nomie, Sports Contributor

Oregon State Baseball fell short against the Gonzaga Bulldogs on Tuesday night with final score of 6-3. This loss puts OSU’s overall record at  31-11-1, but keeps their Pac-12 record the same at 17-4-0.

According to Interim Head Coach Pat Bailey, the Beavers did not perform at the level he expects them to compete at. Bailey said it’s frustrating watching the team play low quality baseball during the week.  

“Mid-week games are every bit as important as Pac-12 games. They’re the difference between hosting a regional and not hosting a regional and honestly it’s frustrating,” Bailey said.

According to left-handed pitcher Christian Chamberlain, it was upsetting how the team comes out during mid-week games because there is a different spirit in the dugout compared to weekend games.

“We don’t keep up the same energy during mid-week games as we are during the weekend. There is a lot less fire and that’s something we need to fix as soon as possible,” Chamberlain said.

Gonzaga took the lead at the top of the fourth inning, with a home run and two loaded bases, scoring them three runs. OSU catcher Adley Rutschman came in at the bottom of the fourth and hit a home run as well, putting the Beavers on the scoreboard.

According to Rutschman, who had four at-bats and two hits in the game, non Pac-12 games are no excuse to perform below the standards. As a team, the mindset shouldn’t be any different between non-conference games.

“We have to play our game and be able to critique ourselves,” Rutschman said.

Redshirt sophomore catcher Zack Zalesky, hit a single during the ninth inning, allowing his teammates Elliot Willy and Zak Taylor to score two more runs for the Beavers, leaving the game with a final score of 6-3.

The Beavers will be back at Goss Stadium on Friday at 5:35 p.m. through Sunday to take on Oklahoma State in a three-game series.